Hello brewcommune

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

JonGoku wrote: Also of note Stein Fillers will be having their next brew class on 1/10 from 11-3PM
With that in mind, you can learn alot by coming to a Brewcommune brew day (one of the benefits of membership). If you keep your eyes open here, you will also find opportunities to come brew with one of us during one of our regular brew days. For instance, I am brewing on Saturday. The best way to learn is to watch someone else brew.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

BrewMasterBrad wrote:For instance, I am brewing on Saturday. The best way to learn is to watch someone else brew.
Brad, thanks a lot for the invite. I'd love to come but I have a prior engagement already for Saturday I can't get out of.
bwarbiany

Re: Hello brewcommune

Post by bwarbiany »

I definitely suggest joining the club, as you point out the discounts should pay for your dues pretty quick -- ESPECIALLY if you still need to buy a starter kit.

A starter kit will give you pretty much all the essentials, and very few things that aren't necessary. So I would suggest going that route. And with the discount, you can save a good $10-15.

For a boil kettle, Dustin and I have an extra 13.3 gallon keg to be used as a boil kettle. We'd be willing to sell it for what we paid ($30) unmodified, or possibly a bit more if we cut the top for you & add a ball valve (if we still have leftover valves, need to check). You'll need to go buy a turkey fryer (just the burner, Bayou Classic square model is $45 @ home depot -- need the square model due to the size of the keg)...
Brad
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Thanks, I officially already joined as of yesterday. So :cheers: to you all.

Bwarbiany, thanks alot for the offer. I'm a bit lost when it comes to pricing things as I'm really new to this, but $30 sounds like a pretty good deal. I googled around some and found out that the 13.3 (or 13.2) gallon keg is a European keg size and would work great for double batches (if that's the right term).

I definitely don't have a means to modify a keg myself, and wouldn't really know where to start if I did. What would you estimate getting it modified would run me? By the way, what kind of material is the keg?

Cheers!
Jon Image
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

JonGoku wrote:Thanks, I officially already joined as of yesterday. So :cheers: to you all.

Bwarbiany, thanks alot for the offer. I'm a bit lost when it comes to pricing things as I'm really new to this, but $30 sounds like a pretty good deal. I googled around some and found out that the 13.3 (or 13.2) gallon keg is a European keg size and would work great for double batches (if that's the right term).

I definitely don't have a means to modify a keg myself, and wouldn't really know where to start if I did. What would you estimate getting it modified would run me? By the way, what kind of material is the keg?

Cheers!
I can modify a kettle for you for weldless fittings. Lars here (PM him) is the expert at modifying kegs if you want to go that route. Personally I'd recommend the turkey fryer route since you get a burner as well that'll make your life much easier.

Look in the club-only event section for the next brew day. It would be a good idea to come watch it done before you buy anything, but that's a catch-22 because if you do buy a keg or kettle and bring it, I'm sure we can find time to drill a hole in it for you.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Modifying the keg is pretty simple -- it's just a matter of equipment. You need to cut a hole out of the top, and drill a hole for a ball valve at the bottom. For us to do that would probably be another $10-15 (mainly fed straight to my Dustin's wife's brother, who has a plasma cutter and can drill the hole). From that point you'd need to buy a weldless ball valve (about $35 from B3). Then you're done.

If you have an angle grinder, or a plasma cutter, you can modify it yourself very easily.
Brad
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

DOH! :shock:
I screwed up a little when I went brew pot shopping at the flea market last Sunday. I accidentally took the wife with me and now shes a bit worried about what all I had in mind and how much "unneeded bulky equipment" I was planning on buying and bringing home.

I'll have to take it a bit slower as I promised I'd borrow some equipment first to see how things go before making my own plung. Good news though, the husband of one of my co-workers used to homenbrew for about 5 years, but hasn't broken out his setup since they moved a couple years ago. I think I'll be able to borrow most everything I need to at least get a couple batches under my belt before committing to my own investment. :happybeer:
Jon Image
backyard brewer

JonGoku wrote:DOH! :shock:
I screwed up a little when I went brew pot shopping at the flea market last Sunday. I accidentally took the wife with me and now shes a bit worried about what all I had in mind and how much "unneeded bulky equipment" I was planning on buying and bringing home.

I'll have to take it a bit slower as I promised I'd borrow some equipment first to see how things go before making my own plung. Good news though, the husband of one of my co-workers used to homenbrew for about 5 years, but hasn't broken out his setup since they moved a couple years ago. I think I'll be able to borrow most everything I need to at least get a couple batches under my belt before committing to my own investment. :happybeer:
Yeah... The wives..... I've "borrowed" (wink, wink, nudge nudge) a lot of equipment before too.
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Backyard Brewer wrote:Yeah... The wives..... I've "borrowed" (wink, wink, nudge nudge) a lot of equipment before too.
Hahaha, I'd be lying if I said that hadn't crossed my mind, but I think she would figure it out and I would be in double trouble and definitely beerless. Image
Jon Image
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Let us let you in on a little secret...

The proper tactic to use is to talk about how much money you'll save per batch. Equipment, of course, is a sunk cost. But when you figure that 5 gallons (2.5 cases, or 8-10 six-packs) of craft beer will cost you (at, say, $9 per six-pack) anywhere between $72 and $90. To brew that much beer at home will cost less than $30, in most cases. Again, it's useful here to price in on the low-end, i.e. making yourself a 4.5% amber ale compared to a six-pack of 7% IPA -- and also to make sure you don't include things like cost of water, etc.

If you ask some of us what a batch costs, and we include the fact that we are brewing all-grain and buying ingredients in bulk, many batches might cost less than $20 for 5 gallons. Just think, 5-10 batches and you recoup the cost of equipment.

(The dirty secret, of course, is that like any hobby you can spend as much or as little as you want on equipment... And most of us spend a lot. But that doesn't need to be highlighted to your wife!)
Brad
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Hmmm, I think we're on to something here :D . It would help to make a batch or two first and "know" how much it costs, and have "evidence". The current competition is the case (24 pack) of Kirin Ichiban now on sale for $12.99 (est $15.36 after CRV and Tax). Assuming a 5 gallon brew I would be "saving money" if I can keep or beat at least $30 a batch.

I know that most of you brew all grain (and that interests me to no end), and I realize this might be a stretch for some of you, but what is the best kit or recipe for extract brewing with the cheapest price tag? Anything worth brewing for around $20? Or is that skimping too much on quality and flavor?
Jon Image
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

JonGoku wrote:Hmmm, I think we're on to something here :D . It would help to make a batch or two first and "know" how much it costs, and have "evidence". The current competition is the case (24 pack) of Kirin Ichiban now on sale for $12.99 (est $15.36 after CRV and Tax). Assuming a 5 gallon brew I would be "saving money" if I can keep or beat at least $30 a batch.

I know that most of you brew all grain (and that interests me to no end), and I realize this might be a stretch for some of you, but what is the best kit or recipe for extract brewing with the cheapest price tag? Anything worth brewing for around $20? Or is that skimping too much on quality and flavor?
For a starter beer, I would stick to an easy ale like a pale ale, blonde, or even something darker like a stout or porter. You mentioned Kirin which is lager and those tend to be more difficult to nail your first time around. In general, the lighter the beer, the less you have to 'hide behind' in case you come up with off flavors.

I would check the B3 website for kits - their kits are really solid and many of us here started with their kits. I've actually slightly modified a few of their kit beers and entered them in competitions, placing well.

You sound like you're on the right track. Borrow you friends gear, pick up a kit from B3, give it a shot! Be sure to post up any questions or concerns you have here before you start so that we can help out the best we can.
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
backyard brewer

I agree with Rezzin,

I brew a Kirin clone on occasion and it is a challenging beer to brew. You'll also need to start buying something much more expensive, in the 8-$10 a 6-pack range for wife math to work. :lol:
jward

Post by jward »

If I remember correctly, that once you get your club member discount established at the B3 Riverside store, you are in their computer and get that discount online too. Normally, you didn't get the discount via on-line purchase.
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Rezzin wrote:For a starter beer, I would stick to an easy ale like a pale ale, blonde, or even something darker like a stout or porter. You mentioned Kirin which is lager and those tend to be more difficult to nail your first time around. In general, the lighter the beer, the less you have to 'hide behind' in case you come up with off flavors.

I would check the B3 website for kits - their kits are really solid and many of us here started with their kits. I've actually slightly modified a few of their kit beers and entered them in competitions, placing well.

You sound like you're on the right track. Borrow you friends gear, pick up a kit from B3, give it a shot! Be sure to post up any questions or concerns you have here before you start so that we can help out the best we can.
Thanks for the advice, so Pale Ale it is, or perhaps the Irish Red Ale if that's not to hard.
American Ale
Irish Red Ale

Backyard Brewer wrote: I brew a Kirin clone on occasion and it is a challenging beer to brew. You'll also need to start buying something much more expensive, in the 8-$10 a 6-pack range for wife math to work. :lol:
Hahaha, my wife's a bargain shopper (who's isn't?) and I don't think hiking the cost of the store bought beer I'd like to get, would mean I'd get it. Image I'd love to try your Kirin clone sometime though, if your familiar with the Japanese beers, have you ever heard of a Suntory Malt clone? IMHO Japan makes some of the best malt beers.
jward wrote:If I remember correctly, that once you get your club member discount established at the B3 Riverside store, you are in their computer and get that discount online too. Normally, you didn't get the discount via on-line purchase.
I'm glad you brought that up. Riverside is a bit of a journey for me and it would be great to get their discount online. Do you know if I have to go into their store first to set this up, or can it be done by phone? Preferably I'd shop at Steinfillers as they are on my way home from work, but 5% isn't much compared to 20%.
Jon Image