Hello brewcommune

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

Rezzin

Re: Hello brewcommune

Post by Rezzin »

I've never tried the American Ale but the I have tried the Irish Red and really enjoyed it. It really doesn't matter which kit you choose - just choose a style you prefer most (in the ale category). Chances are you'll simply be stoked that you actually made your own beer! Winter time is actually a good time of the year to brew an ale if you don't have any means of proper temperature control - you might be able to get away with just sticking it in the closet and letting it go. Which reminds me, try and do your best to maintain your temperatures to the best of your ability early on. This was something that took me a little while to understand an IMO, is the easiest and biggest contributing factor to overall quality of your beer. Also, start with dried yeast for your first batch - don't worry about the liquid yeast just yet. Many here LOVE the dried stuff and make great beer with it.
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Rezzin wrote:Winter time is actually a good time of the year to brew an ale if you don't have any means of proper temperature control - you might be able to get away with just sticking it in the closet and letting it go. Which reminds me, try and do your best to maintain your temperatures to the best of your ability early on. This was something that took me a little while to understand an IMO, is the easiest and biggest contributing factor to overall quality of your beer.
How well do the "heater band" things you strap around the fermenter to keep it warm work? If 60-70F is my target tempurature I wouldn't be surprised especially recently if its not dipping in the low 50s at night inside my room. Does this band work off a thermostat and turn off if temperatures reach or exceed the target?
Rezzin wrote: Also, start with dried yeast for your first batch - don't worry about the liquid yeast just yet. Many here LOVE the dried stuff and make great beer with it.
Thanks, that makes me feel better as I was actually leaning towards dried yeast. John Palmer explains well enough how to rehydrate it and it seemed simpler then having to worry about when you need to wack your smack pack, and much cheaper then liquid yeast. Funny enough reading Palmer's yeast section gave me some eye openers for why the yeast in my pizza doughs acted so different on occasion. (I'll be keeping it in the fridge from now on)
Jon Image
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Like Rezzin said, fermentation temperature control is critical!

I've never used one of the heater bands, but I doubt you'll need one. If you can, I would try to put the fermenter in a water bath. If you've got one of those big plastic tubs that people put drinks and ice in during the summer they work great. The water will add some thermal mass and keep the temperature fluctuations to a minimum.

I'd also suggest the dry yeast, I use dry yeast whenever the right strain is available for the beer I'm making. It's a lot easier to get an adequate amount of yeast. Rehydration is optional, you can simply sprinkle the yeast on top of the wort. I do tend to get faster starting fermentations when I rehydrate and I typically do rehydrate the yeast these days. It's simple, 10ml water / gram of yeast, microwave it until it boils, let it cool to about 95F, add the yeast, wait 15 minutes, stir (with a sanitized/sterilized spoon) and pitch.
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

brahn wrote:Like Rezzin said, fermentation temperature control is critical!

I've never used one of the heater bands, but I doubt you'll need one. If you can, I would try to put the fermenter in a water bath. If you've got one of those big plastic tubs that people put drinks and ice in during the summer they work great. The water will add some thermal mass and keep the temperature fluctuations to a minimum.
Ah, that makes a lot of sense. I don't have one of the huge ones, but I do have a normal sized one that could help. At my work I deal with Thermal Solutions on a much smaller scale (semiconductors) and I'm embarrassed such a simple trick didn't occur to me. Thanks again for the advice. K:-)
Jon Image
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

I made that American Pale Ale recipe from B3 as my first batch about a year ago. Real easy, and it turned out great. And hey look, a year later I am still brewing, with no plans on stopping any time soon.
Kevin
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

I'm not sure how warm or cold your room is - but if it's in the 60-64d range, you might be just fine w/o any temperature control. Wrapping the carboy with a blanket or submerging in a bucket of water (better) will definitely help with the temperature swings. Using a floating thermometer in the bucket of water, you can add ice if necessary to keep the temps down in case they get too warm.

I've never used a heating belt but you would need to use it with a temperature controller for it be effective really. Go with the bucket of water - it really does work well.

Just to warn you ahead of time - if you get the bug list most do after their first homebrew, you're going to have to break your wife in one way or another. I hate to say it but homebrewing gear does take up a lot of space, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Lot's of space is somewhat relative I know but can be assured you'll wind up with enough equipment to fill up a small closet at one point or another - if not more. Do it slowly and maybe... just maybe... the wife might not realize the change until it's too late :)
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I wish it would only take up a small closet ... try a garage and a bedroom! :)

Slow and steady is the way to go, though. In my experience most brewing equipment that gets upgraded still gets used in some way or another in the process.
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

brahn wrote:I wish it would only take up a small closet ... try a garage and a bedroom! :)

Slow and steady is the way to go, though. In my experience most brewing equipment that gets upgraded still gets used in some way or another in the process.
lol, so true. I didn't want to scare him too soon though :)
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Rezzin wrote:
brahn wrote:I wish it would only take up a small closet ... try a garage and a bedroom! :)

lol, so true. I didn't want to scare him too soon though :)
Crap, I'm so doomed Image
Jon Image
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

brahn wrote:I'd also suggest the dry yeast, I use dry yeast whenever the right strain is available for the beer I'm making. It's a lot easier to get an adequate amount of yeast. Rehydration is optional, you can simply sprinkle the yeast on top of the wort. I do tend to get faster starting fermentations when I rehydrate and I typically do rehydrate the yeast these days. It's simple, 10ml water / gram of yeast, microwave it until it boils, let it cool to about 95F, add the yeast, wait 15 minutes, stir (with a sanitized/sterilized spoon) and pitch.
That method is all well and good, but I think my way is easier.

Get a pint of bottled water, warmed to room temp. Pour out half. Pour the yeast in. Let sit (possible swirling/shaking) for 15 minutes. Pitch.

About as easy as you can make it. I also suggest using TWO packets of dry yeast, because it's cheap as hell and you know you'll be pitching enough.
Brad
jward

Post by jward »

Brad, don't you do some larger batches? I use room temp. bottled water too. One packet of dry yeast per 5 gallon batch. The hydration at 10ml/gram is easy with a 1L water bottle. I you really want some info on yeast counts you can see the Mr Matly webpage. Too much yeast may not provide optimum flavor either.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Yes, I do 15-gallon batches, which would usually take 3 packs of yeast. I'll basically always use 4, and if it's a high-grav beer, sometimes 5. I've never really worried about overpitching, rather I think most homebrewers are probably underpitching.

So two packs in a 5-gallon batch has two benefits:

1) You know you've pitched enough.
2) If one of the packs is dead, or less than optimal viability, you have a built-in backup.

Granted, my rehydration is unscientific (I never even questioned whether my 0.5L bottle of water would meet the 10ml/gram metric)... But I figure it's better than not rehydrating at all, and a lot easier than doing it "right".
Brad
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

bwarbiany wrote:Yes, I do 15-gallon batches

Brad, how long does a 15 gallon batch last, or do you supply a local pub with one of your micro brews? That would be pretty cool.
bwarbiany wrote: Get a pint of bottled water, warmed to room temp. Pour out half. Pour the yeast in. Let sit (possible swirling/shaking) for 15 minutes. Pitch.
That sounds like a pretty easy way to do it if you have a pint of bottled water lying around. For me I might go with the microwave as I tend to only get the smaller bottled waters.
Jon Image
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

JonGoku wrote:
bwarbiany wrote:Yes, I do 15-gallon batches

Brad, how long does a 15 gallon batch last, or do you supply a local pub with one of your micro brews? That would be pretty cool.
I've got one co-brewer, so we split the 15 gallons amongst a keg for each of us, and then typically keep the third keg around for events (like Christmas weekend right now), or bottle it for competitions. One keg of beer typically lasts me about a month to 6 weeks.
JonGoku wrote:That sounds like a pretty easy way to do it if you have a pint of bottled water lying around. For me I might go with the microwave as I tend to only get the smaller bottled waters.
I use the 0.5L standard bottles (16.9 oz). I think those are the most common size I've seen.
Brad
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

bwarbiany wrote: I use the 0.5L standard bottles (16.9 oz). I think those are the most common size I've seen.
Ah, you are right. My math was off as I generally think in mils not oz or pints. In that case the bottled water method seems like the easiest way to go. :idea:
Jon Image