Transporting beer

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

glenn973

Transporting beer

Post by glenn973 »

Hey all,

Well, i'm brewing 3 beers for my wedding, but the beer is being brewed in OC and the wedding is in Vegas.
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on any concerns i should have transporting beer (in cornies) long distances and what to expect when I get to the destination.

They will be in the cab of my truck, so the temperature should be somewhat reasonable, just not at serving temps.
We will be arriving a couple of days before the wedding so the beer will have some time to settle, but there will still be a quick trip from where we are staying to the reception site.

Thanks for any suggestions/insight

-Glenn
brew captain

Re: Transporting beer

Post by brew captain »

If you are able to get the kegs on site and under refrigeration (or on ice) the day before you should be good to go. If you are transporting them the day of the event you might end up with less than crystal clear beer due to the yeast and solids getting worked back into suspension. One way to avoid this would be to filter the beer before you go. Then you would have little to worry about beyond a slight loss of flavor, color and/or hoppiness from the filtration process...

I got married in Vegas ten years ago and only regret NOT getting Elvis to perform the ceremony...

Good luck!!!
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

I've transported beer to an Octoberfest party several times ... I put the cornies in a tall thin trash can with ice. Now since I normally take the motorhome, I put them in the shower but you could easily do the same thing in a truck bed. I usually arrive the day before and set up several hours in advance. About the only thing I've had trouble with is carbonation (but then again I tend to overcarbonate anyway).

Dan
glenn973

Post by glenn973 »

Thanks for the info!

I'll check with the reception place to see about refrigerated storage for a day or two. Otherwise ice buckets it is and cross my fingers and hope there's not an issue with carbonation.

Just in case your curious :) I'm brewing 3 beers: a Dark Brown, a Belgian Wit and a Chocolate Porter. I'll make sure to pull some off before the wedding so I can bring them to the next club meeting :happybeer:
FBMike

Post by FBMike »

Make sure you leave the cobra taps in the back of the truck. Don't want to get pulled over with a half drained keg :D
The difference between a hobby and an obsession is the amount of time you devote to it.
glenn973

Post by glenn973 »

FBMike wrote:Make sure you leave the cobra taps in the back of the truck. Don't want to get pulled over with a half drained keg :D
errr hey ossifer <hiccup> i got the hook up on some really good homebrew, wanna swig?
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Jon Image