Brew Pets

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

Brewfoo

Brew Pets

Post by Brewfoo »

I love animals. in a platonic kind of way. Here is a pic of the zoo that is my house:
The small parrot is a Pineapple conure "Tiki".  The African Grey Congo is "Fuji", and the hop-dog is "Buki."
The small parrot is a Pineapple conure "Tiki". The African Grey Congo is "Fuji", and the hop-dog is "Buki."
BREWPETS.JPG (111.59 KiB) Viewed 2275 times
I just wanted to share some pet photos here and maybe you can share yours from time to time.
Beer....it's the new "water."
backyard brewer

Re: Brew Pets

Post by backyard brewer »

Cool grey. I have a yellow nape, he's kind of an angry bird though...

Edited to add image:
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Cool birds!

I had a Yellow Nape back in college ... there was a group called the Hookbill Hobbyists ... my bird was kind of mellow compared to some I saw but he never really warmed up.. However, I did see a Yellow Nape bite through a broomstick at one meeting ... talk about an angry bird! He was clipped and his owner kept him on the stick (I know why he didn't let him sit on his hand!).

Dan
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Right after viewing / posting on this thread, I went outside and wa getting ready to do a little spray painting. No sooner did I step outside the ManCave and my own BrewPet dropped by for a visit today ... a California King Snake.

We get out fair share of snakes here ... mostly gopher snakes ... and a I've killed couple of rattlers ... but this is the first Calif King I've grabbed here. I usually take them back to the open spaces as some of the neighbors are snake averse (that is being kind!) and I want them away from potential harm. Must've known I was looking for a brewpet post ! 8)

Dan
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Dan, that's a little crazier than the little lizards we get at my place... I think that snake might eat my dog (the dog being basically a glorified cat, actually).
Brad
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Brewdog loves to hang out while I brew... although she goes for anything that hits the floor .. so I am especially carefull with the hop pellets! :)
Never sure what this dog is thinking .. but guaranteed to get her into trouble!
Never sure what this dog is thinking .. but guaranteed to get her into trouble!
Coconut_thinker_s.jpg (69.19 KiB) Viewed 2243 times
She enjoys warm spent grains and long walks on the beach. Please post similar or SASE to P.O. Box below. :)
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
backyard brewer

dhempy wrote:Right after viewing / posting on this thread, I went outside and wa getting ready to do a little spray painting. No sooner did I step outside the ManCave and my own BrewPet dropped by for a visit today ... a California King Snake.

We get out fair share of snakes here ... mostly gopher snakes ... and a I've killed couple of rattlers ... but this is the first Calif King I've grabbed here. I usually take them back to the open spaces as some of the neighbors are snake averse (that is being kind!) and I want them away from potential harm. Must've known I was looking for a brewpet post ! 8)

Dan
OOOHHHHh man my son would have flipped! He loves snakes. King snakes have always been my favorites. Here's an arbitrary fact of the day: King snakes tend to feed on other snakes and are in fact immune to rattlesnake venom. It's not uncommon for a rattlesnake to end up biting itself in the panic of battle with a king snake, at which point it will succumb to its' own venom and end up dinner for the King snake.
Brewfoo

Post by Brewfoo »

I recommend Omar's Birds in Brea or his ex-wife's place called Omar's Birds by Fran in Cypress if anyone is ever interested in birds. Nothing beats eBay classifieds or recycler.com for prices. Parrots are mean pets. They often out live their original owners and have to live the rest of their lives adjusting to strangers or locked in cages. When they're young, they seem to be tame to any family members or guests. After a year or so, they will choose one person in the family and hate everyone else.

This is my first Grey and my second Pineapple Conure. The first one was eaten by a feral cat we use to feed. It was my son's parrot and a grueling time for us all to cope with the loss. This new one is amazingly similar to the last one and likes to cuddle in your hands. I would also recommend both of these parrots for the noise factor which is not as bad as others.

My Akita is only 8-9 months and is still growing. I found him on eBay Classifieds locally here in Norwalk. The lady had him picked out of a litter from her neighbor who bred them. I have no papers for him but he looks like a champ to me.
backyard brewer

Brewfoo wrote:I recommend Omar's Birds in Brea or his ex-wife's place called Omar's Birds by Fran in Cypress if anyone is ever interested in birds. Nothing beats eBay classifieds or recycler.com for prices. Parrots are mean pets. They often out live their original owners and have to live the rest of their lives adjusting to strangers or locked in cages. When they're young, they seem to be tame to any family members or guests. After a year or so, they will choose one person in the family and hate everyone else.

This is my first Grey and my second Pineapple Conure. The first one was eaten by a feral cat we use to feed. It was my son's parrot and a grueling time for us all to cope with the loss. This new one is amazingly similar to the last one and likes to cuddle in your hands. I would also recommend both of these parrots for the noise factor which is not as bad as others.
+1 for Omar's. Ex Girlfriend bought a blue and gold macaw from them (not recommended for noise). Chucky (my yellow nape) is 23 years old now and I've had him for 23 years. They say elephants never forget? Parrots really never forget and hold grudges big time.
Brewfoo

Post by Brewfoo »

@backyard, that's funny...I had a blue and gold macaw when I was a kid too. It was so tame we never clipped the wings and it would fly around the house. My dad got brave one day and took him outside. He would fly back but one day, he figured our house in Fresno wasn't really "rain-foresty" enough and he never came back. Macaws make a squawk which is heard for about a mile away. Neighbors love that. I bought the Grey because I had always been told they naturally don't make bird noises but only imitate other birds and sounds they hear.

While that's kind of true, I have a grey parrot that sounds like a flock of crows outside and the microwave when it's done cooking.

I took this picture earlier this evening of these two brew pets guarding my homebrew.
IMG_4749.JPG
IMG_4749.JPG (93.25 KiB) Viewed 2239 times
IMG_4750.JPG
IMG_4750.JPG (92.55 KiB) Viewed 2239 times
Brewfoo

Post by Brewfoo »

Here is a short trilogy I call "Brew Pet Wars Saga."

Here is Part 1:
http://youtu.be/fDj0DSXj3U0

Part 2:
http://youtu.be/VBAS3w-3zMg

Part 3:
http://youtu.be/jtxYaRlpxqU
Steinbeck68

Post by Steinbeck68 »

Chad, don't make me start posting cat pictures here.
nico soze

Post by nico soze »

I didn't know u were on here Rick
Steinbeck68

Post by Steinbeck68 »

I'm not really, just signed up to threaten Chad with cat pictures
Brewfoo

Post by Brewfoo »

Rick,

I've joked with you before in the past about you owning one cat too many. I really do love all kinds of animals but this thread is about "Brew Pets." We've all heard of "Brewdog Brewery" but imagine a brewery called "Brewcat." I'd stay clear of that beer if it did exist. I'm sure you would agree.

With that in mind, please enjoy these photos as proof that my brew pet is superior to your feline friend.
IMG_4757-1.JPG
IMG_4757-1.JPG (103.64 KiB) Viewed 2191 times
IMG_4774-1.JPG
IMG_4774-1.JPG (92.42 KiB) Viewed 2191 times