Club Meeting - Tuesday July 15, 7PM at Slaters 50/50 in HB

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

JonW
Site Admin

Club Meeting - Tuesday July 15, 7PM at Slaters 50/50 in HB

Post by JonW »

The July 2014 meeting will be held at Slaters 50/50 in Huntington Beach on Tuesday July 15th. Slaters has a separate side room that we will have use of so that we are not in the main restaurant area.

Slaters 50/50 is at 8082 Adams Ave, Huntington Beach
https://www.facebook.com/Slaters5050HB

Meetings are open to all Brewcommune forum members (paid and non-paid). If you are new to Brewcommune, please come out and introduce yourself. If you haven't been in a while, please come back.

We will again be having a style presentation at this meeting. If you have homebrew you wish to share and discuss, please bring that with you.

Of special interest at this meeting will be discussion of our upcoming barrel aged project (which is limited in participation for paid members only).

Please post a reply here is you plan on making it!
bwarbiany

Re: Club Meeting - Tuesday July 15, 7PM at Slaters 50/50 in

Post by bwarbiany »

>90% chance I'll be in San Jose... About the only reason I wouldn't be in San Jose is if I'm in China...

Anyone willing to take over the style presentation?
Brad
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

With regards to the style presentation.... I'd like if we could select beers from the tap list at Slaters. Their tap list changes regularly, but is on Tap Hunter. http://oc.taphunter.com/location/Slater ... gton-Beach
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

So you're doing a double ipa presentation?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

maltbarley wrote:So you're doing a double ipa presentation?
LOL, and that is why you don't want me doing it! :lolno:
StarRaptor

Post by StarRaptor »

In
ScottK

Post by ScottK »

I have to be at a City Council meeting that night and will miss the meeting. The upside? I'm defending a liquor license approved by the city. :yawn:
I have not yet begun to defile myself.
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Who's doing the presentation? I will be at the meeting, but I will let someone else do it.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

bwarbiany wrote:>90% chance I'll be in San Jose... About the only reason I wouldn't be in San Jose is if I'm in China...

Anyone willing to take over the style presentation?
BrianC will be doing the style presentation. Thank you Brian. :cheers:
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Not going to make it tonight. Couldn't get a hall pass. Have fun and be safe.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
Blackcomb

Post by Blackcomb »

I'll be heading over from work and will be there early if anyone else is around and wants to join me.
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

I should be there about 6:30 or so ... grabbing some grub!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Thanks all for making tonight a really fun meeting! It was great meeting the newcomers and talking with them about their adventures in homebrewing, as well as hanging with all the Brewcommuners who are working on their craft!

One of the aspects of sharing homebrew at a meeting is connecting a taste experience with knowledge and a recipe. I encourage everyone to upload their shared homebrew recipe from tonight to our database. It can really add to the groups knowledge and help us all become better brewers! Here is my 'hoppy red ale'.

One point of discussion on this beer was about how to get the 'red' in a red ale. As I understand it, the 'American Amber' category includes red beers, and many folks put some form of roasted barley (black malt, brown malt, dehusked carafa) in a very small quantity... either in the whole mash or at the end. I opted for some midnight wheat for its extra body & foam retention, and a bit of carafa II. The 1st few weeks, it does have a roasty character, but that fades quickly after week 4 in the keg.

The other interesting question was whether adding gelatin to clear your beer would dampen the hop quality (or dry hop quality). This is part of the joy of homebrewing. Everyone has a slightly different take on topics like these. And they all seem to work well. You just stick with what is comfortable to you and your experience. I have had really good results with gelatin. From what I've read, it only helps pull the suspended yeast out solution, and does not impact hop flavor.

As a similar example, I am a believer in first-wort hopping. So for me, I use this technique from time-to-time, and feel comfortable with it. Form the literature I've read, it replaces 20%-25% of the 'aroma hop' schedule with FWH, and I use a Boil for 20-m calculation for its IBU contribution. That will fly in the face of many thoughts on hop usage, but I have been liking the results.

BTW, my FG was 1.013 ... found it in my notes.

Anyways, I am looking forward to our Sept. meeting already! Keep brewing & share those recipes if you like!
:happybeer:
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
Blackcomb

Post by Blackcomb »

Brewcommune Meeting Notes

Meeting notes from July 15, 2014 at Slaters 50/50 in Huntington Beach

Discussed

Chris welcomed some new faces to the meeting as well as 2nd and 3rd timers.

The club still have a small selection of shirts available to purchase. If you are interested please see Chris to find out what sizes may be available.

Club barrel project is now full and the beers will be due sometime around early to mid September. The official date is not yet available but please plan the brew days so meet this time frame. The recipe can be found posted by Brad in the project thread.

Style Presentation

Brian C did a presentation on Munich style Helles using the taps available at Slaters. The beers passed around as style guidelines were:

New Belgium Summer Season

Maui Bikini Blonde

Homebrews Shared

Forgive me if I left anyone off. All beers shared were quite good, and if I didn’t hear it announced I may have missed it. Here are beers that were passed around:

Martin and Kristie - Kumquat Kolsch

Jon - Black Rye IPA

Luke - XPA with wheat

Jon - House IPA

Chris Hoppy Red Ale

Tim - 2 Bottles of Belgian Saison using 565 and 568 yeasts

Luke - Berry Berliner Weisse

Curtis - Citra Blonde Ale

Brian C also brought some Rue D Floyd and Floyd D Rue to share as an example of a barrel aged porter.
CurtisG

Post by CurtisG »

Blackcomb wrote: Curtis - Citra Blonde Ale
This was actually Will's beer, not mine.