Club Meeting – January 19, 2016 7:00 pm

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

Justin H
Club President

Re: Club Meeting – January 19, 2016 7:00 pm

Post by Justin H »

What is the style presentation for this meeting? I have a beer fridge that needs to be emptied, if I have something relevant I will bring it.
SamIam

Post by SamIam »

I'm going to do the style presentation on Cat 12 Pale Commonwealth Beer. I have some commercial examples of 12A and 12C but still need to pick something up for 12B. Let me know if you have anything that fits that sub category. Thanks!
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day!"
~Frank Sinatra
Justin H
Club President

Post by Justin H »

Nope, sorry no Coopers.
I have mostly categories 17, 22 & 30.
AndrewG

Post by AndrewG »

Hey everyone, I'm new to brewing (2 brews down, both still in the fermenter, all grain) and am looking for a club in orange county. Wondering if I should come tomorrow or if i should wait until I have something to offer. Not sure how these clubs work! Really would like to join a club and I have heard good things.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

aghenender@gmail.com wrote:Hey everyone, I'm new to brewing (2 brews down, both still in the fermenter, all grain) and am looking for a club in orange county. Wondering if I should come tomorrow or if i should wait until I have something to offer. Not sure how these clubs work! Really would like to join a club and I have heard good things.
No need to bring anything. Come on out and join us and introduce yourself.

BTW, I suggest not using your e-mail address as a user ID as it will get picked up by robots for spamming. Send me a PM with a chosen name and I can update it for you.
Justin H
Club President

Post by Justin H »

Welcome to the club! Come on out tomorrow, beer or no beer.
By the way, what did you brew for your 1st two batches?
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Really bummed that I won't be there tonight. Maybe I can Facetime or Hangout during the style presentation. I was really looking forward to heckling Sam on his first official style presentation.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
CurtisG

Post by CurtisG »

BrewMasterBrad wrote:Really bummed that I won't be there tonight. Maybe I can Facetime or Hangout during the style presentation. I was really looking forward to heckling Sam on his first official style presentation.
Maybe we can rig up some sort of Brad-bot. Like a tv on wheels that rolls around.
indianajns

Post by indianajns »

Excited for the meeting tonight! Will be bringing a British Strong Ale, Doppelbock (still young), and an IPA for feedback :beer:
AndrewG

Post by AndrewG »

Justin H wrote:Welcome to the club! Come on out tomorrow, beer or no beer.
By the way, what did you brew for your 1st two batches?
Thanks! For my first batch I did a Zombie Dust clone. Murphy's Law was in full effect and almost everything went wrong, but the samples have been tasting fine and it looks like fermentation is about done. Threw the dry hop charge in last night. Since I had most of the ingredients leftover from brew #1, I decided to brew another batch of the ZD clone. Everything went smoothly and I hit all my numbers. We shall see! I'll see you guys tonight and I'll bring a growler of some commercial beer with me :cheers:
Justin H
Club President

Post by Justin H »

AndrewG wrote: I'll see you guys tonight and I'll bring a growler of some commercial beer with me :cheers:
I never one to turn down a beer but being that we are meeting at a brewery this time, maybe pick one up onsite instead of bringing outside beer into their tasting room.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Great turnout last night! Welcome to all the new folks that were able to attend. I truly hope you felt welcome and the discussions were beneficial.

While we're thankful for locations like Beach City Brewing for hosting us, we came to the conclusion last night that we really need to focus meeting locations at places where the background noise is lower and we have sufficient seating for all that attend.

Due to our requirement of needing the host location to allow homebrew, we don't always have a lot of places to choose from. In the future, we are going to try and make an effort to use places that give us a dedicated space to meet where we can more easily conduct club business.

We like to try and move around Orange County so that we're not always making the same people travel across the county. While we already have a few good locations available, if you know of locations that would be willing to host our group, please let us know.
Blackcomb

Post by Blackcomb »

BrewCommune Meeting Notes
Meeting notes from January 19, 2015 at Beach City Brewing in Huntington Beach.
31 in attendance

Discussed
Jon started off our meeting introducing all of the new officers for 2016 should anyone have missed the last meeting. Here are your officers for 2016:

President - Jon
Vice President - Curtis
Secretary - Big Tim
Treasurer - Brian B
Competition & Style Coordinator - Sam

Holiday party, hosted by Derrin Roe's house, was a huge success. Was well attended and lots of great beer and conversation was had! Several vendors including Brewers Hardware, Windsor Homebrew Supply, Brew International and Riip Beer company donated some amazing raffle items. Beer guessing games and the beer exchange were a blast!

Tim Reismueller spearheaded doing a 24 day beervent calendar (similar to an advent calendar). Awesome idea and many are looking forward to the next round.

February is an off month. And Curtis is working to schedule a social gathering. Look for details in the forums.

February club brew day is being hosted by Brad Warbiany. Check in on the forum announcement for further details.

Registration is now open for the Southern California Homebrew Festival in Vail. Tickets are discounted through January 31st. Your attendance is free if you volunteer for a few hours. Details on that can be found in the SCHF emails that are sent out, as well as their site. Bragging rights competition is American IPA this year – not to exceed 7%, no rye, white, or black. Brad has secured 13 campsites for the group and more are available if needed but act fast!

Style Presentation
Sam started our style presentation which was on Category 12 – Pale Commonwealth Beer.
There were three examples of this style were:
British Golden Ale - Abbot Ale Greene King
Australian Sparkling Ale - Coopers Brewery
English IPA - Samuel Smith

Homebrews Shared
Here is what was passed around and that was logged into the new (awesome) sign in sheet. If you were missed, please ensure you fill out the sheet when you arrive at the meeting!

•Dopplebock - Greg H
•British Strong Ale - Greg H
•Stout – Dave R
•Chile IPA – Dave R
•Cream Ale – Will
•Coffee Stout – Hussam
•Peanut Butter Porter – Hussam
•Tropical Stout – Tim S (Distinguished Tim)
•Oatmeal Coffee Stout – Curtis G
•Kolsch – Curtis G
•Blonde Ale – Fred
•Berliner (Peach) – Justin
•Berliner (Psuedo) - Justin
•Berliner Weisse w/ Raspberries - Justin H
Megastout

Post by Megastout »

By the way, Curtis, I stopped by Phantom Ales today and talked to Rob Gundling, the owner, and asked him if he would be receptive to having our club meet there for either our social or regular meetings and he said sure, be happy to have us.
He said just contact him to set it up. So, here is his email:
rob@phantomales,com
Brau Ritter

Post by Brau Ritter »

Hello,
I brought a briefcase with me to the last meeting and a lot of you guys want to know where to get one.
Here you go:
http://www.thinkgeek.com
it's called "The Beer Briefcase"