Why to be an AHA Member

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

bwarbiany

Why to be an AHA Member

Post by bwarbiany »

In the club-only section, there is a discussion about benefits to the club from >75% of our paid members joining the AHA. However, since there are a number of participants here who are not paid brewcommune members, I wanted to repost what I put there in case any of you are considering AHA membership.

----------------------

If you're looking at it but on the fence, there are a lot of good benefits from being an AHA member.

You get a subscription to Zymurgy, which IMHO is an excellent homebrewing magazine in general.

The AHA has their discount program. Homebrew shops O'Shea Brewing and Unrestricted Brewing down here in South OC both offer 10% discount on purchases for AHA members. A lot of breweries and beer bars offer AHA discounts as well.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/ ... ber-deals/

I'm pretty sure that with a few LHBS and brewery visits, you can recoup the membership cost.

If you ever want to compete in the NHC or be eligible for any of the pro-am competitions that breweries will sponsor prior to the GABF, you need to be an AHA member.

And then on top of that, they promote homebrewing and fight for legislation to help homebrewers. I believe they were part of the group that fought successfully to get the California ABC laws changed that caused the 2014 SCHF to be cancelled...

If you're not a member, you should join just to help the club get free insurance. But if you're not going to do it just on our behalf, there are plenty of other ways to justify it.
Brad
lexuschris

Re: Why to be an AHA Member

Post by lexuschris »

Great post Brad!

This is a wonderful hobby, and not too many years ago it was still illegal in some states! Many great organizations fought for our right to let nature run its course on yeast inoculated malty water, and then enjoy it for our own use!

Imagine if making smoked pork ribs at home was illegal for 60 years, and then you finally got to be able to smoke your own meats at your home, because a group of folks fought for your right to do so... yeah. Thank you! :happybeer:

Zymurgy is a great magazine, and I do enjoy the 10% discount at many brewpubs & homebrew shops. That makes it so much easier to sign up. I highly recommend signing up, and also entering some of the big comps with your homebrew and getting some excellent feedback from the judges.
:thumbup:
---LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
Megastout

Re: Why to be an AHA Member

Post by Megastout »

Also, during my 3 month trip around the US, I got usually 10% discount from many breweries after showing my AHA card.
It also gives you more respect and service since they then know you are a serious and knowledgable beer person.
And, sometimes allowed me to talk to the actual brewers willing to tell me about their brews and process.
Well worth the membership!