Honey Beer

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

Megastout

Honey Beer

Post by Megastout »

After reading the 'Brewing with Honey' article in Zymurgy, I got inspired to do a Honey Beer.
Will be my own recipe with honey being added at flame out and as priming sugar.
Golden Promise
Vienna
Crystal 60
White Wheat
Special Roast
Aromatic
WPL 002
Saaz hops
3 lbs honey
YUM!
jward

Re: Honey Beer

Post by jward »

Just a tip. Add some honey malt. Honey malt and honey together is more than the sum of their parts.
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Love it DT! Honey is a great add to many beers!

While I have not used honey malt, I hear reports that 'a little goes a long way'. Maybe jward can give you a hint on a good ratio..

I've found in my own 5 gallon batches, that 1#-2# honey without boiling has a nice honey character. YMMV.

I would also advise that you can wait until the wort cools to pitching temp, or after primary fermentation, to add the honey. You will retain more of the aromatics at the lower temps, and honey itself carries few microbes due to its low water content. Its very safe to add at room temp.

Either way, looking forward to trying your honey brew!! K:-) :happybeer:
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
jward

Post by jward »

lexuschris wrote:While I have not used honey malt, I hear reports that 'a little goes a long way'. Maybe jward can give you a hint on a good ratio..
I used it like crystal malt. You probably only want 1/2 to 1 pound for 5 gallons. Derrin uses it in Bee's Butt and may have something to add.
ctninh

Post by ctninh »

The National Honey Board has info on using it in beer. It also outlines some info on the types of honey.

-Calvin
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

jward wrote:
lexuschris wrote:While I have not used honey malt, I hear reports that 'a little goes a long way'. Maybe jward can give you a hint on a good ratio..
I used it like crystal malt. You probably only want 1/2 to 1 pound for 5 gallons. Derrin uses it in Bee's Butt and may have something to add.

I like honey malt at about 5% of the grist bill. It definitely brings back a lot of honey character that ferments off. Also ferment as cool as practical for your yeast strain. WLP002 I'd go 62-64 even though that's below optimum. Honey tends to throw a lot of fusel. I fermented my honey pale at 70-72 once and it was liquid hang over.
Megastout

Post by Megastout »

Thanks all for the great suggestions. I did get some honey malt and it represents 5% of the grain bill. Will taste monitor after primary fermentation and add accordingly. As priming sugar for bottle conditioning, I can't really know how much honey flavor and aroma will be left since I can't taste and adjust like I know I like to do with most brews now a days. Going to brew tomorrow if anyone wants to stop by for free beer.