Beer tasting session, 6-9-2020 (Tues)

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

ctninh

Beer tasting session, 6-9-2020 (Tues)

Post by ctninh »

Hi again,

The 2nd meeting will be Tuesday June 9th from 7:00 PM to 8:30 PM. The focus will be American styles. Below are the styles and some common examples I have seen at big beer stores before. If the example beer cannot be found, try to find other beers on the 2015 BJCP style guidelines commercial examples. Then, look for any other style (hopefully there will be no off flavors there).

Grab one from each category:

1D, American Wheat Beer - Bell's Oberon, Goose Island 312 Urban Wheat Ale, Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat Ale, Widmer Hefewizen

19B, California Common - Anchor Steam, Flying Dog Old Scratch Amber Lager

18B, American Pale Ale - Ballast Point Grunion PAle Ale, Firestone Walker Pale 31, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (note: Stone Pale Ale is not appropriate since it changed its profile with 2.0)

19C, American Brown Ale - Big Sky Brewing's Moose Drool Brown Ale, Brooklyn Brown Ale, Anchor Brekle's Brown, Cigar City Maduro Brown Ale

Any questions, post them here. Again, I'll post the meeting link as it get closer to June 9th. Hope to see you there.

-Calvin
indianajns

Re: Beer tasting session, 6-9-2020 (Tues)

Post by indianajns »

Looking forward to it Calvin!
Megastout

Post by Megastout »

Thanks Calvin
ctninh

Post by ctninh »

About a week away. Hope you can find the beers in the stores. Got mine at Total Wine. See you all soon and stay safe out there.

-Calvin
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

If anyone finds Grunion on the shelf, please post. Such a nice beer, and we don't see it often enough...
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
ctninh

Post by ctninh »

Meeting link:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81912606012

Meeting starts @ 7 PM on June 9th (next Tuesday). The meeting room opens at 6 PM to allow people to set up. All are invited whether they are participating or just want to listen in.

To do:
-Read the BJCP style guidelines for 1D, American Wheat Beer, 19B, California Common,
18B, American Pale Ale, 19C, American Brown Ale
-Have BJCP guidelines open & ready before the meeting [https://www.bjcp.org/docs/2015_Guidelines_Beer.pdf]
-Have other guides and descriptors (see past post and save/print those)
-Find the "brewed on" or expiry date on the small pack for each beer if they have one

My beer selection, for those with decision paralysis:
Bell's Oberon
Anchor Steam (big can)
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (bottle)
Big Sky's Moose Drool

Got my singles at Total Wine in Tustin. No Grunion Pale Ale there.

Notes:
-Feel free to grab more beers (on & off the list) to do your own extra credit.
-There will be special homework for those who get a Sierra Nevada Pale ale can and bottle (different carbonation methods)
-I will make more of a focus on homebrewing and judging since that was the interest last time
-Have a bottle capper if you plan on being merciful to your liver or don't want to dump beer a brewer sweated over
glenn973

Post by glenn973 »

Unfortunately due to a schedule change i won't be able to attend to tomorrow. Look forward to the next one though!
ctninh

Post by ctninh »

It's in a few hours. See you online

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81912606012