Local Honey Source

A place to discuss all things related to brewing ingredients.

Moderator: Post Moderators

backyard brewer

Local Honey Source

Post by backyard brewer »

I met a really cool bee keeper today. (He 'vacuumed' about 15,000-20,000 bees out of my fence this morning, which works out to about a 5 gallon bucket about 2/3 full of live pissed off bees; but that's another story) He keeps a lot of hives out in Silverado Canyon and just started providing hives to North San Diego County farms that are certified organic. His company is call Guerilla Beekeepers and he specializes in unfiltered local honey; perfect for brewing!

He sells on Saturdays at the farmers market in Orange, West of the Plaza (the Circle) Since he's selling at a farmers market, he won't have that large of volume containers, but if you email ahead of time he'll be happy to provide 3-6 pound weights ready for you. I have no idea on pricing but given the source it's probably worth it unless you're needing larger quantities from the likes of Miller's.

His name is Bill and his email addy is bill [at] guerillabeekeepers [dot] com

Should you find a hive on your property, he's also the guy to call. :roll:

Here's his website: http://www.guerillabeekeepers.com/
lexuschris

Re: Local Honey Source

Post by lexuschris »

Sweet!

I'd like to support my local beekeeper. Will have to check this out...
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
StarRaptor

Post by StarRaptor »

Did he give a price estimate per pound?
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

StarRaptor wrote:Did he give a price estimate per pound?
I didn't ask. Since I'm not making mead and my usage would be about 6 pounds per batch I just wasn't all that concerned. I think if you need quantity at a price, then Miller's is still going to be your best bet. But if you're looking for a batch worth produced right in our back yard, Guerilla seems like the place to support.

Last time I spoke with Eric, which was a while back, he wasn't going to carry honey anymore because repackaging just wasn't worth the trouble.
jward

Post by jward »

Eric seemed to have a respectable amount of 1 gallon buckets of honey. Way better then trying to weigh out from a 5 gallon bucket.