Red Ale

A place to discuss all things related to brewing ingredients.

Moderator: Post Moderators

BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Re: Red Ale

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

the roasty notes dropped out after a few weeks.
Roasted malts, much like hops, tend to fade with age although for different reasons. Hops mellow as the potency of the oils and alpha acids diminishes due to oxidation and other environmental effects. Most of the roasted malts just tend to fall out of solution just as yeast does.

I really like using carafa to add color while minimizing roasted flavors, especially in a Schwarzbier or Vienna.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
grico

Post by grico »

lexuschris wrote: I know some folks like to put 1-2 oz of black patent malt to give a bit of red to their Ambers. I've only tried some Carafa II to get a bit more red.... and avoid any harsh black malt flavors.
--LexusChris
Ya, last time i threw in a bit of black patent, and it came it came out brown. Figured I would try to stay away from that this time.
Gallons Brewed 2011: 85
Gallons Brewed 2012: 165
grico

Post by grico »

BrewMasterBrad wrote: Roasted malts, much like hops, tend to fade with age although for different reasons. Hops mellow as the potency of the oils and alpha acids diminishes due to oxidation and other environmental effects. Most of the roasted malts just tend to fall out of solution just as yeast does.

I really like using carafa to add color while minimizing roasted flavors, especially in a Schwarzbier or Vienna.
Good to know, and also good to know carafa for Vienna. I really like the color of Dos Equis Amber. Not quite the garnet red I want, but close.
Gallons Brewed 2011: 85
Gallons Brewed 2012: 165
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

grico wrote:
BrewMasterBrad wrote: Roasted malts, much like hops, tend to fade with age although for different reasons. Hops mellow as the potency of the oils and alpha acids diminishes due to oxidation and other environmental effects. Most of the roasted malts just tend to fall out of solution just as yeast does.

Good to know, and also good to know carafa for Vienna. I really like the color of Dos Equis Amber. Not quite the garnet red I want, but close.
I have a Vienna in the primary right now. Planning on taking to SCHF.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's