locally succesfully hops

A place to discuss all things related to brewing ingredients.

Moderator: Post Moderators

jward

locally succesfully hops

Post by jward »

Which varieties of hops have grown and flowered well for you? From casual conversations it looks like some hop varieties don't know they are a "long day" plants and some do.
brahn
Site Admin

Re: locally succesfully hops

Post by brahn »

I've had good luck with Cascade, Cluster, and Columbus.

Chinook has been ok, but struggles a bit. I think it might be because it's in between the Cascade and Columbus without enough room.

Centennial I have yet to get a good harvest from after 2 years.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

My Sterling and Cascades have always done well. My Tettnang has had one good year and one not so good. They are looking good so far this year. The Magnums I planted 2 years ago had a good first year (for first year rhizomes) but disappointed last year. They are looking good this year. The Liberty plants have had one good year and one mediocre (just like the Tetts) and they also appear to be off to a good start this year. Last my EKG plants haven't ever had comes ... and theses were the giant rhizomes. Again this year they appear to be the weakest of my plants. Ask again in August.

Dan
lars

Post by lars »

Two years ago, I had an awesome crop of Willamette (almost 1lb dry off 2 rhizomes), and a smallish crop of Columbus. Last year nothing. I just planted new Willamette rhizomes two week ago and they seem to be doing very well this year.
Shut up and brew