Louks To Go (Gourmet Food Truck)

Just tasted something great or not so great? Have a favorite restaurant, cigar or pub you'd like to talk about? Review it here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

bwarbiany

Louks To Go (Gourmet Food Truck)

Post by bwarbiany »

Not sure how many of you have gotten into the gourmet food truck craze, but I'm always looking for something new, and given that I'm a ***HUGE*** fan of Greek food from growing up in Chicago, I'm always looking for something a little bit beyond the scope of Daphne's...

Louks To Go is a food truck patrolling LA & OC county (found @LouksToGo on twitter) and I happened to be working in our Irvine office today, so I went over to check them out at Michelson & Teller (I think there's a food truck lunch event there at least once a week).
Beef gyro, spicy feta fries, PB&N louks
Beef gyro, spicy feta fries, PB&N louks
IMG-20110511-00062.jpg (406.36 KiB) Viewed 3081 times
I ordered the beef gyro, the spicy feta fries, and the peanut butter & nutella louks.

Beef Gyro: Not a fan. I grew up on gyros in Chicago, and the key to a good gyro is that you carve the meat off the spit, brown/caramelize it a bit on the flattop, and you're in good shape. This is the pre-sliced "deli" gyro meat. It's frankly disgusting and beneath any respectable Greek establishment to serve. Not a fan. (Also, who the hell serves gyros but without a lamb option? WTF??)

Spicy Feta Fries: These were much better. Nice fries, well-crisped but not burnt, with a very nice feta sauce. They weren't burn-your-face-off spicy, but the spice did give the sauce just the right depth to be interesting. I definitely would order these again.

Peanut butter & nutella louks: I'd never heard of "louks" before this place, but essentially it's a ball of fried dough. They serve it bathed in peanut butter & nutella, and even after eating my sandwich and my fries, they were still nice and warm. These, frankly, were amazing. As is expected when you're eating nutella, it was SO rich that I couldn't even come close to finishing the order myself, so I recommend sharing.

---

Overall, I think if you stay away from the standard beef gyro, you'll be alright. Some of the other gyros (chicken or shrimp) looked interesting, and since they probably have some difficulty as a food truck hauling a hot spit covered in beef & lamb around a city, I can maybe excuse them for it.

But I'd say a smarter option is to look for them at one of the many food truck events, and get your entree elsewhere but come to Louks for the dessert. At least until Congress discovers these PB&N Louks and decides they've got to regulate them as a controlled substance!
Brad
lars

Re: Louks To Go (Gourmet Food Truck)

Post by lars »

They were at Bootleggers this evening when I drove by on my way home. I have not gotten into the food truck thing yet... but would be willing to try.
Shut up and brew
bwarbiany

Re: Louks To Go (Gourmet Food Truck)

Post by bwarbiany »

The food trucks, in general, are pretty interesting. I don't go nuts seeking them out, and they rarely spend much time down in South OC, so I don't get them very often. But since I'm on twitter (follow @Foodtrucks_OC for local updates), I tend to keep an eye out in case it will be convenient. I've had Kogi, Piaggio on Wheels, Barcelona on the go, and Crepes Bonaparte, and now Louks.

Generally I've been pleased with the food, and the advantage of a food truck is that they can be a bit more specialized than a restaurant, as they find a fresh customer base every new place they park. As a general rule, the food has been quality, my experience with the gyro meat above notwithstanding.

I get so bored of eating the same crap every day, it's a nice change of pace when I can get it.
Brad