Stone Vertical Epic 12.12.12

Just tasted something great or not so great? Have a favorite restaurant, cigar or pub you'd like to talk about? Review it here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

lexuschris

Stone Vertical Epic 12.12.12

Post by lexuschris »

Hey all,

I've only been on the Stone Vertical Epic bandwagon sinde 07.07.07, but this is probably my favorite since '07.

It is definitely a spiced beer, with lots of allspice, clove, banana, cinnamon, orange peel, etc. flavors. I keep thinking this is the liquid form of some holiday baking experiment.. maybe even a rum cake, gingerbread, or somesuch. Lots of goody bits to enjoy here!

Anyways, you all know I enjoy my herbal spiced drinks from time to time, and this is a special treat. Not so dry, like the holiday spiced Ale on Lees from Canada... I cannot wait to age this a few years and see how it fairs.

Just curious if anyone else has tried it, and what they thought...

--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
Greywolf

Re: Stone Vertical Epic 12.12.12

Post by Greywolf »

I would have to agree with you that this one is the best of the "flight" that I have had. When OotP did the Epic release on 12.12.12, I stopped by to have a flight of the 06-12. Each had it's own interesting characteristics, but, as you have stated this one was the least... "experimental" tasting.

As a whole, I think it was a really cool idea. Personally, I like verticals. Though, with each year being a different beer, it is not a "true" vertical, in the true definition.

On a side note, I plan on making my Trippel, which took first place in the Fest of Ales comp, and in June and going vertical with it going forward. Having a bit of a wine background, I like the idea of vintages.
GreyWolf27
backyard brewer

Re: Stone Vertical Epic 12.12.12

Post by backyard brewer »

I like it a lot. It's not too heavy or over spiced but something truly different.