Sanke Keg Conversion Kit

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Re: Sanke Keg Conversion Kit

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

So, what's the trick for keeping the racking cane from getting clogged?
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Not sure what Brent is doing but when I've racked melomels with a lot of fruit pulp a hop bag over the racking cane works pretty well (thanks for that tip Pete).

Dan
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

BrewMasterBrad wrote:So, what's the trick for keeping the racking cane from getting clogged?
Pretty simple, don't push it all the way down while it's fermenting. You only need to pull it out an inch or so, then I just give it a spray of sanitizer a few minutes before racking.
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

brahn wrote:
BrewMasterBrad wrote:So, what's the trick for keeping the racking cane from getting clogged?
Pretty simple, don't push it all the way down while it's fermenting. You only need to pull it out an inch or so, then I just give it a spray of sanitizer a few minutes before racking.
The racking cane slides on o-rings in a compression fitting. Just raise it, start your transfer, then lower it until it just starts to pickup sediment.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Right, you can raise and lower it no problem when you're transferring. But, the first batch I made I had the cane pushed all the way into the fermenter during fermentation. When I pulled it up and tried to transfer to the keg it was completely clogged and I couldn't push the clog out with co2. I went up to about 10psi but there was definitely co2 leaking out around the hose at that point, I was also getting very concerned about the racking cane shooting out of the keg. Now I just leave the racking cane about an inch off the bottom during fermentation and I don't seem to have this problem.
jward

Post by jward »

If the cane clogs you might try blowing CO2 directly into the cane. That will let you use lots of pressure. Of course, that clears the clog into the keg and may stir stuff up when the CO2 starts bubbling. YMMV
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

How do you clean it? I get a bit worried about cleaning something I can't see the inside of from a 2 inch opening at the top...
Brad
backyard brewer

bwarbiany wrote:How do you clean it? I get a bit worried about cleaning something I can't see the inside of from a 2 inch opening at the top...
PBW and heat. Just throw the thing up on your burner with about 3 gallons of PBW. Bring it to a boil (with the opneing unobstructed obvioulsy) then when it's cool enough to handle, roll the hot PW around in there. The steam will loosen any kruesen ring and the PBW will do the rest. Rinse well.

To sanitize, do the same thing; throw it up on a burner with about 3 gallons of clean water, bring to a boil for about 15 The steam is a very effective sanitizer. Let it cool and drain.
Last edited by backyard brewer on Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed idiot spelling
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Yea, what Derrin said. I also modified a carboy brush so that it will reach the sides of the keg from the neck and I give it a scrub too.
jward

Post by jward »

I used to grow lots algae in 3L bottles. I cleaned those by putting in a paper towel with some vinegar. Then I swirled that around. It was quite effective at cleaning even the mineral deposits left by the salt water. You could probably stick a cloth or scrubies in before you start rolling the keg. Someone was selling a carboy cleaner that looked like a lees stirrer that had chamois strips. I'm sure it would be easier to spin that with a drill then rolling a keg around.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Someone was selling a carboy cleaner that looked like a lees stirrer that had chamois strips.
I'll bet Derrin could make one of these, with the strips long enough to reach all the sides of the keg.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Well, Derrin, I secured my keg today and just ordered this kit...

I'm already getting excited to brew for the first time in about 3 months once this arrives :D

Me soon ----> :happybeer:
Brad
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

You're going to love that fermenter Brad! :happybeer:
backyard brewer

Got it, thanks. Do you want to pick it up or have me just send it when it's done? (i'm about a week behind right now)
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

backyard brewer wrote:Got it, thanks. Do you want to pick it up or have me just send it when it's done? (i'm about a week behind right now)
Considering you still have my hops from the 2008 group buy, I think I've shown that I'm not very good at finding time to pick things up :-)

But let me know. My rough goal is to brew in two weeks (Mar 6-7), so if you think it might not arrive by then, I might need to pick it up...

Otherwise, if you don't mind tossing the hops in the box when you send it, I'd appreciate it :lol:
Brad