pH meter

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

brahn
Site Admin

Re: pH meter

Post by brahn »

I typically check my mash pH but have only checked the final wort pH once or twice. I brewed this weekend and tested both. The mash read 5.28 and the wort post boil was at 5.42.

Tyler, how does that stack up to what you look for?
tylking
Pro Brewer

Post by tylking »

Pretty good, I usually have a tighter range but 5.42 is well within a reasonable range. At 5.42 you will want to take a final pH reading after the beer is done fermenting and see what it dropped down to, you should see 4.0 -4.5 the lower the pH the better.
jward

Post by jward »

Why is lower pH better? I would expect that lower pH is harsher environment for microbes. Is there more to it like flavor improvement.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

According to Fix in Analysis of Brewing Techniques, "As pH falls below 4.0, flavors tend to be sharper and more acidic, with an increased drying aftertaste. Above 4.6, cloying occurs, and mouth-coating effects and chalk/alkaline tones are enhanced."

He also states that the drop in pH during fermentation creates a harsh environment for gram negative microbes that could spoil the beer.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I just kegged this beer and the pH of the final beer was 4.40. In the range, but on the high side. It tastes great though. :)
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

brahn wrote:I just kegged this beer and the pH of the final beer was 4.40. In the range, but on the high side. It tastes great though. :)
Remember pH is a logarithmic scale.
DrDually

Post by DrDually »

Reviving this thread again...
Does anyone have experience with the ISFET type pH meter?
No wet storage is required plus potentially longer probe life
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

pH meter is next on my equipment purchase list... would love to hear everyone's thoughts on what works well, what is less fuss, etc.

Thanks! 8)
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
ScottK

Post by ScottK »

I'm reviving this old thread to see where everyone has landed on pH meters. Is there a consensus meter that one should buy? What has a few years shown for those who purchased the previously mentioned meters?
I have not yet begun to defile myself.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

ScottK wrote:I'm reviving this old thread to see where everyone has landed on pH meters. Is there a consensus meter that one should buy? What has a few years shown for those who purchased the previously mentioned meters?
That I can spend money foolishly, because I have had a pH meter for several years now and have never used it?
Brad
ScottK

Post by ScottK »

bwarbiany wrote:
ScottK wrote:I'm reviving this old thread to see where everyone has landed on pH meters. Is there a consensus meter that one should buy? What has a few years shown for those who purchased the previously mentioned meters?
That I can spend money foolishly, because I have had a pH meter for several years now and have never used it?
Or that you've wisely preserved it for many more years to come and protected your investment against inflation?
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

I ended up buying one similiar to this model.

And its not been helpful for me at all. Mostly due to my impatience over having to keep the tip stored in fluids, etc. I've used it on a few brewdays, but it always read higher than I thought it should. Last time I took it out, it was WAY off (too low). I think the electrode got too dry, and I'm rather fed up with the whole mess.

I think I would prefer test strips, in the correct range for mashing.

Others seem to do fine with this, so YMMV.
K:-)
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
ScottK

Post by ScottK »

Thanks Chris. I have test strips, but also have a color deficiency so that makes discerning the shades a bit difficult.

I suppose I should be asking another question and that is, is this necessary? I identified it as an area where I did not have control of my process and wanted to better understand how to control it. Perhaps it shouldn't be much of a concern? Is pH more important to some beer styles over others? Is there a wider range of pH tolerance with some styles?
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

ScottK wrote:Thanks Chris. I have test strips, but also have a color deficiency so that makes discerning the shades a bit difficult.

I suppose I should be asking another question and that is, is this necessary? I identified it as an area where I did not have control of my process and wanted to better understand how to control it. Perhaps it shouldn't be much of a concern? Is pH more important to some beer styles over others? Is there a wider range of pH tolerance with some styles?
I can't answer definitively since I haven't tested, but one of the reasons I never got around to testing is that I made the switch to RO water. There's a portion of me that just trusts that since I'm starting with a mostly-known water source and controlling all my additions according to the Bru'n'water spreadsheet, that the pH will come into line naturally. Whereas using the municipal [crappy] water supply, it might be hit or miss.

I might be COMPLETELY wrong on that, but so far my beer has been better since going to RO than before despite a complete lack of pH testing, so I'm sticking to it.
Brad
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

I'll defer to others who have more experience with meters and mashing pH ... however, I think I would rather spend my dollars on an RO system, rather than the pH meter. I trust the spreadsheets to get me 'close enough' to make good beer once I know my water supply ions.
--LexusChris