Anyone Interested in a Brutus Stand?

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

dhempy

Re: Anyone Interested in a Brutus Stand?

Post by dhempy »

oc eric wrote: Ditto Chris. I'm sooooooo tempted.

Dan, does your buddy do gravity systems?
Well my friend is a master fabricator. He has built Indy race cars, custom show cars, muscle cars ... all from the ground up ... if you can draw it, he can build it. As long as the cut / weld time is similar to the brutus, I think it would be for the same price because all of the 2" tubing is free ... you are basically paying for his time / expertise.

Will you be using keggles or pots? What size (height / diameter)? Would you like a hybrid (kind of like the Sabco unit) or a full three tier setup? PM me your contact info and let's chat. If you can get us a dimensioned drawing (even hand drawn), that would be great.

I'm happy to say that as of right now, three stands will be built. Thanks to those that have signed up .. you are helping in a big way. I might be able to extend the deadline a bit if anyone is on the fence because it is going to take a bit of time to disassemble the tubing from it's current state. The critical thing at the moment is to know how long the longest pieces need to be. There is plenty of tubing to be had.

Dan
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

Dan, I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds here since we've had phone conversation, but I thought it might be helpful for people to understand why the window is so tight for this buy....

Dan's friend has been contracted to dismantle a warehouse and this tubing has been used as racking. While it's all in good shape, it is all slated for scrap sans the small amount that gets set aside for this one time deal. Once this contract is done, all this steel will be gone forever.

The cost for enough mild in .120 wall to build a Brutus is well over $100 and there are many hours of welding even in fixtures.

If you're on the fence, this is a once in a lifetime deal.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

backyard brewer wrote:Not a detailed shot, but you can see them in my build picts:

http://www.brewcommune.com/forum/viewto ... f=4&t=1486
Derrin, do you have any way of leveling the system for uneven ground?

Dan
backyard brewer

dhempy wrote:
backyard brewer wrote:Not a detailed shot, but you can see them in my build picts:

http://www.brewcommune.com/forum/viewto ... f=4&t=1486

Dan
Well.... kinda. Washers can be added to the support screw under the supporting washer to compensate for uneven cut or surface. But, it's more of a one-time shot than say a threaded leg that gets adjusted each time it's set down.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

backyard brewer wrote:

Well.... kinda. Washers can be added to the support screw under the supporting washer to compensate for uneven cut or surface. But, it's more of a one-time shot than say a threaded leg that gets adjusted each time it's set down.
I'm thinking about my system now (of course if we figure something out that benefits all ...) I have to use a 1/2" piece of plywood under 1 wheel because of the drainage on my patio. So I've been noodling options. On my current stand, my brother and I engineered a way to rotate the wheels out and have it stand on it's legs. But time has taken it's toll of that mechanism and I still need the 1/2" ply to get it level so I just leave the wheels down all of the time.

No worries Derrin on the other post.

Dan
backyard brewer

dhempy wrote:I'm thinking about my system now (of course if we figure something out that benefits all ...) I have to use a 1/2" piece of plywood under 1 wheel because of the drainage on my patio. So I've been noodling options. On my current stand, my brother and I engineered a way to rotate the wheels out and have it stand on it's legs. But time has taken it's toll of that mechanism and I still need the 1/2" ply to get it level so I just leave the wheels down all of the time.

Dan
The same casters are available with different mounts. So you could get one caster with a threaded stem and weld a plate to the bottom of one leg. Drill and tap it for the caster stem and one would be adjustable.

I've tried coming up with retractable casters and other methods that would put the stand on it's feet for safety when brewing, but they are all too elaborate.
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

Hey Derrin, I think I'd be interested in a set of those casters as well. I'm getting one of these bad boys built for myself too. The 3rd brutus is going to a co-worker, so I'll see if he is interested in your last set.
Kevin
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Derrin, I'll take a set of those casters. It looks like it's Kevin, his friend and myself getting these done.

I'm going to post up some dimensions that I did and sent to Dan to get some feedback from you guys.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Attached are two images that are Visio layouts for the brew stands.

One is set for 16" wide to support keggles. The other is set for 18" wide to support keggles and regular kettles. the bottom of each picture shows the footprint of both a kettle and keggle and how they would sit on the width of the stand. I kind of like the idea of doing 18" wide just to allow more flexibility. I currently use two keggles (16" wide) and one kettle (18" wide).

I also moved the bottom shelf down further than the standard Brutus layout - for two reasons. The first is that I like to keep as much separation between the burners and lower equipment for heat issues and the second is that I have done a valve/manifold setup for my current rig and I like having a bit more vertical space for the valves that face up from the March pumps. In the two drawings, one would have the top of the lower shelf at around 7-8" (from the ground) and another shows it at 9-10". The variation is that I don't know if the casters are 3 or 4" high.

The vertical supports I have are only planned for the backside of the stand so that the front is completely open. Two full keggles would only be 320 lbs. and I figure between the HLT & MLT it will probably only get to around 250 lbs. I know nothing about the weight bearing of the steel, so I'd like opinions on whether a front post is needed.

Any and all comments appreciated.
Attachments
Brutus-10-JW-v3.jpg
Brutus-10-JW-v3.jpg (80.21 KiB) Viewed 1536 times
Brutus-10-JW-v2.jpg
Brutus-10-JW-v2.jpg (74.33 KiB) Viewed 1536 times
backyard brewer

The casters add 4" to the overall height.

Jon,

The second vertical support is overkill. The stands I build in stainless are 16 gauge or .065 wall and have no problem supporting a brewery at all. .120 wall will hold up a truck
backyard brewer

BTW, they are rated for 250 pounds each. So you can drop 1/2 ton on the stand and these wheels will support it 8)
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

backyard brewer wrote:The casters add 4" to the overall height.

Jon,

The second vertical support is overkill. The stands I build in stainless are 16 gauge or .065 wall and have no problem supporting a brewery at all. .120 wall will hold up a truck
I know the second support is overkill, but my reasoning was two-fold: I did not want it centered right in front of a burner and I want to attach unistrut to the two supports for mounting options.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Well Guys ... We sold 5 stands. Thanks!!! A sixth one is in the works.

My friend has decided just take all of the steel for "projects" so now there is a little more time if any of you are still considering a purchase. It is looking like he will start fabricating on April 26 (a week from Monday). I will keep you all posted as to progress.

Dan
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Brutus stands for everyone!!!!! Awesome.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

BrewMasterBrad wrote:Brutus stands for everyone!!!!! Awesome.
Do I get some sort of award or something? I mean, there is precedence for a president to get an award for doing nothing.