Float Switches

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

dhempy

Float Switches

Post by dhempy »

Many of you have probably already seen these or something similar ... but if not here ya go.

My thoughts go to maintaining MT levels when fly sparging or keeping an HLT topped up. One would have to address the mounting / adjustment questions but that's what we have Derrin for right?

Electrical Float Switch
Mechanical Float Switch

Dan
brianc

Re: Float Switches

Post by brianc »

I have one like this in the bottom of my HLT so I know when it is empty: http://www.ebay.com/itm/liquid-float-sw ... 35c163f323

Basically same as your electrical switch but this one has an elbow on it so all of the wiring is outside the tank.

I also have one on the BK, but right now it is disconnected since I'm doing smaller volume batches. Not being adjustable is one downside to these.

I have one of the plastic style valves as well, but it is on the RO water storage tank. I'm not sure if it would hold up to the higher temps. Water flows through it as well and it is a pretty small orifice, so depending on your plumbing I definitely wouldn't want it inline with any recirculating mash.
jward

Post by jward »

My 1550 came with 2 similar to the electrical ones. One goes with the sparge ring to keep the MT topped off for fly sparging. The other is near the bottom of the HLT. It turns off the gas valve unless there is a couple inches of water in the HLT.

Derrin and I have spoken lots about ways to measure the water in HLT to control the amount of sparge water. We spoke about lots of ideas. Most of them seem like they would work close but probably not exact enough for the brewers doing full automation. I would like to sparge with the correct amount of water and have the system stop at the set amount instead of having to watch it. I may hook one of these up to get alert when I have "less then a gallon left" to sparge.

I have one of the all plastic mechanical vales for RO like BrianC. It was to keep a salt water aquarium topped off. I bet it is food safe but hot water would melt it.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I'm interested in setting up some float switches on my system too. I don't really want to drill holes in my kettles to take them though, at least not until I've been able to try it out and see how it plays with the automation.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

brahn wrote:I'm interested in setting up some float switches on my system too. I don't really want to drill holes in my kettles to take them though, at least not until I've been able to try it out and see how it plays with the automation.
I'm like you .. wouldn't want to drill holes until tested ...

That said, I think it would be relatively easy to create a SS stand that would sit on the bottom ... just a base and piece of tubing sticking straight up ... such that you could zip-tie or even duct-tape the switch to for testing ...

Dan
DrDually

Post by DrDually »

MB has an arm that does not require drilling
http://morebeer.com/products/ultimate-sparge-arm.html
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch