Danby DKC645BLS

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

jsantia8

Danby DKC645BLS

Post by jsantia8 »

A friend of mine recently gave me his Danby DKC645BLS kegerator to try and fix since it wasn't working properly and he does not have time to play around with it. When first plugged in the compressor kicks on and the kegerator begins to cool. It sometimes stays running and cooling for several hours, holding whatever temperature I have it set at (had it set to 41 degrees). Sometimes it will cool and run for anywhere from 5-30 minutes. Regardless of how long the compressor stays on, at some point it shuts off and the temperature begins to rise. The compressor never kicks back on again once this happens and the kegerator never cools again. I read through dhempy's post here:

http://www.brewcommune.com/forum/viewto ... f=4&t=2827

As well as reading some other forums regarding installing an external temperature control unit. I'm just not really sure if this is what my next step should be or if I should try something else. Is there another part that I should test and maybe replace instead? I have a multimeter but I'm not too sure exactly how to check the voltage or check for continuity on this kegerator (have been advised to check the control board and the thermal overload to determine if they are stopping the compressor). I have minimal experience testing for this stuff, mainly just from repairing my freezer and using Google for troubleshooting steps. Any troubleshooting steps and help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
lexuschris

Re: Danby DKC645BLS

Post by lexuschris »

Welcome to the boards!

I'm not good with mechanical things, more of a software kind of guy. Hopefully the more handy folks here can give you a few ideas.

If it comes back on when you unplug it and plug back into the socket, then perhaps an external controller would be a fine solution. It just opens the circuit when the temp is hit, then closes it when it reaches the max threshold you set.

Good luck!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
maltbarley

Re: Danby DKC645BLS

Post by maltbarley »

Based on the fact that it comes back only after it's unplugged, I'd lean towards the thermal regulator. In that case, the compressor is likely failing and not worth replacing. Without burning your hand, check to see how hot the sealed compressor is when it shuts down. Keep in mind that it's a completely sealed unit and the internal temp is much greater than what you may feel on the outside.