Looking To Upgrade My Brew Kettle

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

kchowe22

Looking To Upgrade My Brew Kettle

Post by kchowe22 »

Hey guys,

I'm new to Brewcommune. I just joined a few days ago. I was researching online to find some homebrewing clubs here in Orange County and was so stoked when I heard about Brewcommune! So really stoked to be a part of your organization & looking forward to both learning & sharing with all of you!

Anyway, I'm slowly converting all of my equipment to an all-grain set up and I'm currently upgrading my brew kettle. The specifications for what I'd like to get are:

- 10 gallons
- stainless steal
- thermometer gauge built in
- release valve built in
- a false bottom attachment would be really nice
- and a filter attachment to attach the the release valve inside underneath the false bottom would be great too.

I'm not sure whether or not I should get one that has both the thermometer and the valve welded to the kettle or if I should get one that I can remove both of these to clean and attach again with a good seal?

Does anyone know of a good kettle that fits these specifications? Or are there any recommendations that you believe would be better for me to look at? Welded or not welded? 10 gallons or bigger? Brand? etc...

Thanks so much for the help! Cheers!
[color=#004080]"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"[/color][color=#004080][/color] ~ [i]Benjamin Franklin[/i]
SamIam

Re: Looking To Upgrade My Brew Kettle

Post by SamIam »

Hello and welcome to the Club! I would try talking to the guys at brewershardware.com. They have a couple different lines of kettles and the ability to customize. They are also local and I hear they are real helpful. :)
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day!"
~Frank Sinatra
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

SamIam wrote: They are also local and I hear they are real helpful. :)
Master of understatement you are Sam!

Welcome and +1 for Brewer's Hardware .. you probably met a couple of 'em at the meeting!

Dan
DrDually

Post by DrDually »

HI and welcome to the group
+1+1+1 for Brewers Hardware
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
kchowe22

Post by kchowe22 »

Well it looks like I'm going to check out Brewers Hardware! I love the fact that they customize. And of course that they're also local. Thanks so much fellas. I appreciate the feedback.
[color=#004080]"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"[/color][color=#004080][/color] ~ [i]Benjamin Franklin[/i]
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

kchowe22 wrote:I'm not sure whether or not I should get one that has both the thermometer and the valve welded to the kettle or if I should get one that I can remove both of these to clean and attach again with a good seal?
On a boil kettle, the ability to remove the thermometer and ball valve is nice, but not critical. The nice thing about a boil kettle is that you boil in it, so you don't have to worry much about sanitation. Of course, it's always nicer to work with clean equipment, but not something worth worrying yourself over.

I'd also mention that for a boil kettle, a thermometer is overrated. In an HLT or mash tun, it's really nice to have. But in a boil kettle, you're either getting to a boil, boiling, or chilling, and the thermometer isn't crucial.

I hear those guys over at brewershardware.com might have just this sort of kettle:

http://www.brewershardware.com/15-Gallo ... Valve.html

:happybeer:
Brad
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

bwarbiany wrote:I'd also mention that for a boil kettle, a thermometer is overrated. In an HLT or mash tun, it's really nice to have. But in a boil kettle, you're either getting to a boil, boiling, or chilling, and the thermometer isn't crucial.
I find it useful to know the temperature when I'm chilling, but you can get by without it.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

brahn wrote:
bwarbiany wrote:I'd also mention that for a boil kettle, a thermometer is overrated. In an HLT or mash tun, it's really nice to have. But in a boil kettle, you're either getting to a boil, boiling, or chilling, and the thermometer isn't crucial.
I find it useful to know the temperature when I'm chilling, but you can get by without it.
Agreed. It's nice to have, but not anywhere near as necessary or convenient for me as the thermometers on my mash tun or HLT.
Brad
kchowe22

Post by kchowe22 »

Great to know fellas. I've been looking all over Brewershardware.com and I really like what I'm seeing. I think I will go without the thermometer.. it does make more sense to have one for my mast tun considering I am just boiling in a boiling kettle. Really appreciate the tips & insight guys.

Cheers