Exact iDip Water Testing Kit

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Re: Exact iDip Water Testing Kit

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

bwarbiany wrote:What were the calculations if you only added about 1 mL of the lactic acid to the mash? And what calculations did you use that told you you needed 3.6 mL?

Bru'n Water always tells me to add ~1 mL to mash and 0.1 mL to sparge for 10 gallon batches, so I usually add roughly 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL). But I'm wondering if I should increase that...
That's kind of what I was doing before too. Bru'n Water (the paid version) gave me the Lactic amount to add to reach a 5.29 pH. It also told me to add .03 ml to the sparge water.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

rcwebrew wrote:Thanks Brad great write up!
Cant help but ask a question.
Maybe I missed it. I assume you started with RO, and added the salts/acid based on that.
Did you use Brun to determine salt adds or some other tool, or did each tool predict about the same add for the amber?

BTW I just did my first batch with Brun (based on an unconfirmed local water quality report) and it gave separate adds for Mash and Sparge. Turns out the water up here has much lower pH so I didn't need to add Lactic to mash (pH tested out at 5.3). That brew is in the fermenter right now. I may see if I can get better intel on the water up here, but am leaning toward forking out the bucks for idip setup. Sounds like it has a Brewmasterbrad seal of approval!
Yes, I used RO water. To get me in the ballpark for salt additions, I usually use the water tool in BeerSmith since it is the only tool that actually makes suggestions on amounts to add. Then I make small adjustments to get what I want. For this experiment, I entered the same addition amount in each of the tools to keep things consistent and to see what they predicted my final water would be.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

For those of you that still care about this stuff, I did a little write up on my newly christened blog on my last brew day using the water testing kit.

http://www.brewconsume.net/brew-day-por ... justments/
Reid
Club Treasurer

Post by Reid »

Brad, excellent.

I just placed an order for a home RO system. They were having a sale so I went with an 8-stage system (overkill for sure). 1 Sediment, 2 Carbon, 1 RO, 2 Deionization, 1 UV, 1 Post Carbon. It will be set up in the kitchen for drinking and I'll drain to my kettle for brew days.

I've played with the additions in Bru'n Water 4.2 and BeerSmith 2.0. I can never get it to match my target profile. Hopefully you'll be attending tomorrow's club meeting and I can ask you some questions.