Vacuum Sealer Tips

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

dhempy

Vacuum Sealer Tips

Post by dhempy »

For those of you with vacuum sealers, here's a tip that may come in handy someday (and maybe it is already common knowledge but for the uninitiated or sealer newbies ...).

I use a FoodSaver vacuum sealer and after a while, the neoprene sealing gaskets stop holding seal during the vacuum process. One can readily find and order replacement seals but what do you do if you need it to work _NOW_?

Gently remove the neoprene seals and run them under water ... squeezing like a sponge so they absorb the water. Reinstall and viola! I've been using my seals (that should've been replaced last year) for 18 months or so. Sometimes a gentle push on the lid (squeezing the seals down on the bag) is necessary to get the vacuum started. I actually think the seal is stronger than without the water treatment and that's probably why I haven't rushed out to get replacements.

Another tip is to _NOT_ lock down the lid while the unit is stored .. just leave it gently resting closed. This prolongs the seal life (discovered this the hard way on my first set of seals). Also, reversing the sealing surface of the seals is a good idea too.

Cheers!

Dan
maltbarley

Re: Vacuum Sealer Tips

Post by maltbarley »

Hi, new here? Are you a member?
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

I'm teasing Dan. Good to see you. Your tip may come in handy as it's hop picking weekend in AZ.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

:cheers: