WTB Corny Kegs

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Reid
Club Treasurer

WTB Corny Kegs

Post by Reid »

I'm in the market for some additional kegs. I have a 5 gal. AEB one I purchased from Keg Connection for $100. If anyone has an extra keg to sell or donate, or knows of a better deal please let me know. My freezer can hold four so I am open to purchasing three kegs. New would be preferable only because I'm not too familiar with part replacement or repair.

Thanks.
Last edited by Reid on Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maltbarley

Re: WTB Corny Kegs

Post by maltbarley »

Adventures in Homebrewing had some on sale this week for $39.

http://www.homebrewing.org/5-Gallon-Cor ... _7210.html
Reid
Club Treasurer

Post by Reid »

What is everyone's take on used kegs? Anything to consider? A keg is a keg is a keg?
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Reid wrote:What is everyone's take on used kegs? Anything to consider? A keg is a keg is a keg?
You want to make sure they can hold pressure, are not too dented up, and are not scratched on the inside. All the rubber o-rings can be replaced pretty easily and should be done since you don't know what was stored in the kegs before you got them. Some used kegs are already rebuilt, which means the rubber parts have been swapped out already. You want to check on that since that will reduce your time and effort after you get them. New kegs are great, but they are pricey. I have 13 kegs and only two were purchased new. They all work great.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

What he said. I have at least 15 used ones and they are great. Considering new kegs, you want to pay attention to the grade of stainless. These used kegs are probably 40 years old but made with a higher grade stainless. If they are relatively straight, I'd prefer them over a new Chinese keg (which I do have a few). If you can spring for the new italian kegs, those are pretty nice.
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

When I started with Corney kegs, I bought every used beatup old one I could find. They all cleaned up fine, and with new o-rings, were perfect!

Since then, when I have found group deals on new kegs, I've bought them, and they do vary in configuration & quality, but they all work.

Bottom line, clean them well, sanitize well, ..and you'll have few issues.
--LexusChris

p.s. Pressure test is a good idea
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
DrDually

Post by DrDually »

lexuschris wrote:When I started with Corney kegs, I bought every used beatup old one I could find. They all cleaned up fine, and with new o-rings, were perfect!

Since then, when I have found group deals on new kegs, I've bought them, and they do vary in configuration & quality, but they all work.

Bottom line, clean them well, sanitize well, ..and you'll have few issues.
--LexusChris

p.s. Pressure test is a good idea
+1
I have 15 kegs and all work well
Very easy to clean using a sump pump and CIP from Brewers Hardware
Has anyone looked at the Torpedo keg at MB?
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch