*%@$*&^@ Keg !!!!!!!

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

backyard brewer

*%@$*&^@ Keg !!!!!!!

Post by backyard brewer »

I kegged my amber lager today and one of the kegs just will not seal. I lubed the o-ring, (stop giggling) I placed bushings between the bale and the keg lid to tighten it up, I swapped with a different lid, but the f-er leaks like there isn't even an o-ring.

Any ideas? I really don't want to have to transfer to another keg if i can help it.
brahn
Site Admin

Re: *%@$*&^@ Keg !!!!!!!

Post by brahn »

Doh! You got around to cleaning them and now this!?!

There's no noticeable dents in the lip of the keg? Are you sure that's where the leak is coming from? Typically my leak problems are either from the pressure release valve or the poppits.
backyard brewer

brahn wrote:Doh! You got around to cleaning them and now this!?!

There's no noticeable dents in the lip of the keg? Are you sure that's where the leak is coming from? Typically my leak problems are either from the pressure release valve or the poppits.
Mine too, but this m-f-er is BLOWING CO2 out. Seriously, like there is no O-ring. The O-ring is not knicked and I tried two lids. I don't see visible damage.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

That really sucks ... time to clean another keg?

You've tried two lids, so I don't know about this, but maybe you could try bending the legs on the lid a little more to make a tighter seal...
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

brahn wrote:That really sucks ... time to clean another keg?

You've tried two lids, so I don't know about this, but maybe you could try bending the legs on the lid a little more to make a tighter seal...
That would've been my suggestion too.

I'll assume that you've put a wrench on everything that can be tightened.

If you can't see/hear it leaking around the "O" ring, have you tried a light soapy spray (with the CO2 on ... rinse w/ water afterward) to see if you can pinpoint the spots? Sometimes I have success by rotating the lid 180 degrees. I've also gotten to the point where I try to keep working lids with kegs because some just don't do the trick. I've also had some success by pressuring up (35 PSI) and getting a seal.

That is all I can think of.

Dan
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

I agree on two fronts:

1. Keep a lid with a keg... From seeing a few of Lyn's kegs, he marks a unique sharpie pattern on lid and the lip of the keg so he knows which goes with which...
2. Pressuring to 30 psi will sometimes get it to seal... PARTICULARLY if you're using your hand to kind of pull up on the lid while you do it...

I've got a similar issue right now. I have a keg that I filled last Wednesday, that I was just trying to pull my first pint from tonight... No flow :x :x :x

I think this is one that I never cut the end of the dip tube, and it was the third keg we filled off the fermenter, so it has more sediment than the others... I might have to pull the dip tube from the keg while filled, then clean the hell out of it, and replace the tube (since I don't have the tools to rack to a new keg here -- they're at Dustin's).
Brad
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

When I clean my kegs before transferring beer into them I completely disassemble everything, but take care to keep track of each kegs parts. I used a Dremel tool to grind identifying marks on the lids, top of the keg and dip tubes. For the in and out connectors I just ensure I keep the poppits with the right posts during cleaning and carefully note which keg they came from (I have different color "O" rings which makes this easy). Then once everything is cleaned and sanitized I put it all back together exactly the way it was and get a nice seal every time. Of course I have to change out an "O" ring now and again. One nice thing I noticed with using Star San is that it's tendency to bubble up works great to pinpoint any leaks instead of using soapy water!

Cheers!
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I had a problem getting one of my short cornys to seal one time just like what you are experiencing. I ran the lid and o-ring under hot tap water for a couple minutes to soften up the rubber, then it sealed fine and I haven't had the same problem since. I wasn't concerned about sanitation since the beer was going to all be consumed that day.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
backyard brewer

That's a grea idea Brad. I think I'll try that, then just transfer it to a different keg if that doens't work.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Backyard Brewer wrote:That's a grea idea Brad. I think I'll try that, then just transfer it to a different keg if that doens't work.
Try pressuring up too ... I've had pretty good luck with that trick.

Dan