Aeration (including Olive Oil vs. Aeration)

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Marotte Brewery

Re: Aeration

Post by Marotte Brewery »

JonGoku wrote: So you add a tiny drop from oversized tooth pick for a 10gal batch. How to you cut that in half for a 5 gallon batch? :wink:
I'm guessing a normal sized toothpick...

I think I'm going to try this for my next 5G batch... I'm not sure when that will be, but the next one.
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Marotte Brewery wrote:
JonGoku wrote: So you add a tiny drop from oversized tooth pick for a 10gal batch. How to you cut that in half for a 5 gallon batch? :wink:
I'm guessing a normal sized toothpick...

I think I'm going to try this for my next 5G batch... I'm not sure when that will be, but the next one.
I think I set myself up for that one :lol:

Actually would maybe a pin or needle might work?
Jon Image
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Ok, I read the article posted by brewbud. In this article the olive tests were added to the stored yeast at the rate of 1mg olive oil to 25 billion cells of yeast 5 hours prior to pitching. Do you do this Brewbud?

My questions would be:
1) Would this be useful for dry yeast and liquid yeast or only liquid?
2) Whats the normal yeast cell count for a dry yeast pack?
3) What is the volume of one of Brewbuds "tiny drops"?
Jon Image
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Brewbud wrote:BTW - I used to inject O2 right into my line right after my CFC.
Can you explain a little more deeply how you did this (perhaps including pics of fittings/etc)? I've always been a bit worried about the aeration stone method, because I worry about the sanitation aspect of putting a stone down into the wort. I think building a fitting that allows for O2 directly at the CFC output (which would get sterilized during recirculation) would allow me to avoid that issue but still get some good oxygenation.
Brad
brianc

Post by brianc »

bwarbiany wrote:
Can you explain a little more deeply how you did this (perhaps including pics of fittings/etc)? I've always been a bit worried about the aeration stone method, because I worry about the sanitation aspect of putting a stone down into the wort. I think building a fitting that allows for O2 directly at the CFC output (which would get sterilized during recirculation) would allow me to avoid that issue but still get some good oxygenation.
Here is the wort output of my Therminator. The stone is on the far right.
JonGoku

Re: Aeration (including Olive Oil vs. Aeration)

Post by JonGoku »

Brewbud wrote: For the past two years I have been experimenting with the olive oil technique. I have been surprised and happy with the results. The amount of oil I use in a 10 gallon batch is a single tiny drop from the tip of a bamboo shish ka bob skewer.
Brewbud, some more questions for you.
- When do you add the OO, (Yeast starter, cooled wort, during the boil, etc)
- Is the OO addition the entire extent of your "aeration" process, or do you also inject O2, shake the carboy, etc?
- How many brews have you used this method for?
- Do you use this method exclusively or are you saying you have dabbled with it over the course of 2 years?

The reason for the above questions is because I also read a number of other threads on other boards and there were a variety of ways people went about doing it. It would be nice to hear the extent of what you have used it in and your overall method and results. TIA

P.S. I changed the title of this thread to include Olive Oil vs. Aeration, but if someone want's to split this thread up accordingly please do so.
Jon Image
Brewbud

Post by Brewbud »

Every beer I have made in the last two years has had olive oil in it - at least 12 brews. The amount you actually would use for a 10 gallon batch is smaller than you could easily measure so I use a very fine point bamboo skewer and shake the drop off. I have tried just putting one drop in a 600ml starter, one drop in just the wort and also one drop in both. I have also, by accident, dropped two drops in the wort. I have not had any problems with head retention. I have even made one batch with absolutely no aeration - all have worked great. My technique is now just one drop in the wort, shake for a minute and call it done. I have two buddies that are now using the technique with good results.

I have to admit, 10 years ago I probably would have analyzed the heck out out of this. I used to really enjoy the science aspect of brewing. Now it's more cooking and creation for me :happybeer:
Brewbud

Post by Brewbud »

bwarbiany wrote:
The easy way was done by making a small hole in my tubing and inserted a smaller diameter O2 tube into it. The tube was inserted about an inch or so and angled with the flow. It fit tight and did not leak and could be easily disconnected. I also did it with a simple tee but i don't feel it worked as well. I liked to judge the aeration in the line.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

So, I still haven't gotten an O2 setup. I think I make pretty decent beer, but this is perhaps the biggest glaring hole in my process to correct.

What are your thoughts on this?

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/WILLIAMS ... 9C106.aspx

Seems like the simplest way to get the job done, reasonably priced, etc. Is it as bling as going for an inline system coming off the CFC? No, but considering how little of my brew system is "bling", I can live with that :happybeer:
Brad
DrDually

Post by DrDually »

Brad
Care to stop by my place sometime to see inline aeration?
PM for location

Chris
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Brad,

I use that exact setup from Williams' ... it has been super easy and helpful for me. The O2 canisters can be found in the welding section at Home Depot for a few bucks.. and they seem to last a dozen brews or so. I like the stainless wand & air-stone as its easy to keep clean. I just purge it in starsan at the end of the brewday.

In-line systems are cool too.... but, I've had this system for 2 years now with my old mash tun.

:happybeer:
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

DrDually wrote:Brad
PM for location

Chris
Thanks, but until I have a full brew stand where I can plumb it all out nicely, I don't see any need to do an inline system unless I have a compelling reason why it will make better beer...
Brad
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

lexuschris wrote:I use that exact setup from Williams' ... it has been super easy and helpful for me. The O2 canisters can be found in the welding section at Home Depot for a few bucks.. and they seem to last a dozen brews or so. I like the stainless wand & air-stone as its easy to keep clean. I just purge it in starsan at the end of the brewday.
When you do it (I assume this is for the 10 gallon batches, right?), how long do you apply it to the wort? 60 seconds? Do you turn the regulator full open, or only partway?

Just trying to gather information...
Brad
DrDually

Post by DrDually »

bwarbiany wrote:
DrDually wrote:Brad
PM for location

Chris
Thanks, but until I have a full brew stand where I can plumb it all out nicely, I don't see any need to do an inline system unless I have a compelling reason why it will make better beer...
1) The advantage is fermentation that begins in 2-4 hours
2) The O2 is set to .5 liters per minute and I run it for 3-5 minutes

You may try using the disposalable cylinder with stone as LexisChris suggests for about 1 minute. I would try different settings to allow small stream of O2 thru stone
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

bwarbiany wrote:When you do it (I assume this is for the 10 gallon batches, right?), how long do you apply it to the wort? 60 seconds? Do you turn the regulator full open, or only partway?

Just trying to gather information...
I usually open the valve to where I just start to get flow/fizzing, then move the stone around at different depths.. I used to do 30 seconds of this for my 5-gal batches... so am now trying about 60 seconds for the 10 gallon batches.
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields