Chlorine/Chloramine

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Do you treat your water for chlorine/chloramine removal??

Yes, with campden tablets
20%
Yes, by other methods
70%
No
10%

Total votes: 20

brahn
Site Admin

Re: Chlorine/Chloramine

Post by brahn »

lexuschris wrote: My water report from Ward's had my 'Chloride' rating at 54 ppm. So, if I filter my water with a hard carbon filter, do I just zero out that field?
[...]
p.s. I've never used Cambden tablets, but am wondering if I should. Bwarbiany, did you like the results?
My suggestion would be to send your filtered water in for an analysis.

If you're using a water filter that removes chlorine/chloramine, I don't see any reason to use Campden although it won't hurt anything. My filter said that it removed them on the label, IIRC.
Greywolf

Post by Greywolf »

I use a Brita countertop filter. The Brita website states that their filters remove chlorine and chlorimines, not sure if this includes chlorides (which are wanted if you are making a hoppy beer) Gypsum is CaSO4.

I will usually just add some gypsum if I'm making a hoppy beer, CaCl if I'm making a malty brew.... in my recent Bohemian Pilsner, I did not add any salts (as Pilsner has some of the softest water on the planet)
GreyWolf27
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Greywolf wrote:I use a Brita countertop filter. The Brita website states that their filters remove chlorine and chlorimines
In the link I posted they used a Brita filter and it didn't remove 100% of chlorine/chloramine. Still better than just letting the water sit out overnight, but not completely removed. Granted, that link was from '98, so I don't know if Brita has changed their filters in between and made them more effective.
Brad
Greywolf

Post by Greywolf »

One of the wish list items/projects for me in the new place is installing an RO system, either in the garage, or under the kitchen sink. Should cover all of the concerns. If I find a good deal, and have the coin, I may have it installed for the whole house. Will certainly save the scale build up... (if only there were unlimited funds....(
GreyWolf27