Two infusion CA Common

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Greywolf

Two infusion CA Common

Post by Greywolf »

I'm going to be brewing a CA Common this weekend. I saw a recipe that had a double infusion mash. I use a 10 gal Igloo to mash in. I haven't hammered out my recipe completely yet, but I figure I will be using around 9 lbs of grain.
The double infusion will have a rest @ 122 and @ 158. I have worked out the numbers on paper and have a dough in of 9 qts @ 132.4, after a 20 min rest I will infuse 11 qts of boiling water to get ~ 157 or 158 for the final rest ~ 40 mins.

Do you think this second rest should be lower? Will I end up with a slurpee flavored brew?

Any recommendations? If you think the double infusion is a waste of time for this beer, please provide info/numbers as to why. If you like the idea, but think I should use different temps... please provide info on that too.

In my two all grain batches batches thus far, I have run efficiencies of 81.8 and 82.3, using single infusion mashes.

Thanks!
GreyWolf27
grico

Re: Two infusion CA Common

Post by grico »

My only experience with a step mash resulted in a stuck mash. That protein rest just made a milky soup.

Most grains these days are highly modified and do not require step mashing (source1,2). With a eff. above 80% on a single mash I would just stick with that, you are getting good grain and a good crush.

Just my $.02 though.

sources
1. http://www.byo.com/stories/techniques/a ... ep-mashing
2. http://brewwiki.com/index.php/Mashing (see Multiple Step Mashing)
Gallons Brewed 2011: 85
Gallons Brewed 2012: 165
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

When looking at something like a step mash I like to ask myself: why? With today's highly modified malts the only reason I can think of to do a protein rest off the top of my head is to break down some of the proteins in a malt that contains a lot more protein than barley, e.g. wheat or rye. If your recipe contains a large (>30% or so) amount of wheat or rye, I would consider it. I've made 50% rye beers that had a weirdly thick mouthfeel because of the rye that I think a protein rest would have taken care of.

As for the second rest, 158 seems really high for a Cali Common. This style should finish quite dry, and a mash at 158 isn't really going to get you there. My guess about the mash schedule you have is that the protein rest was there to thin the beer out while leaving a lot of dextrins in the beer from the high saccharafication rest temp. This strategy would still result in a beer that's sweeter than the style should be, even though the mouthfeel might be on point.

The recipe in Brewing Classic Styles suggests a single infusion mash at 150F.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

I've done CA Common's several times and always did a single infusion. It is generally a very simple recipe. I've done mash temps of 150, 152 & 154 for different ones I've tried.
Greywolf

Post by Greywolf »

JonW wrote:I've done mash temps of 150, 152 & 154 for different ones I've tried.
Was there a temp that you preferred?

I'm thinking that I will wait for the protein rest... I have some rye coming in on my next order... may make a ryePA or something along those lines... eventually.

Thanks for the info, I think you have saved me the trouble of trying to over complicate my brew day :D :happybeer:
GreyWolf27
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

I prefer it at 152-154 and use S-23. I like a little residual sweetness and it also helps to make it one that some of my (non-homebrewing) friends enjoy. Hmm. Now I'm starting to think that maybe I should brew this next.
DrDually

Post by DrDually »

Maybe we can plan a small competion for CA common beer only...any takers?
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
Greywolf

Post by Greywolf »

I'm in! :happybeer:
GreyWolf27
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

I'm in too! :cheers:
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Always wanted to do a Calif. Common.. I'm in for that.

BTW, I agree that there is not much need to complicate your brew day with the two infusion mash. With great eff. like that, just go single and 150-152-F sach. rest temp. Sounds delicious!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
backhousebrew

Post by backhousebrew »

I'm brewing a Calif. Common this Sunday for a demo at Addison's.
I'm in !
Drink Good Beer!
grico

Post by grico »

I have yet to brew one, i am in.
Gallons Brewed 2011: 85
Gallons Brewed 2012: 165
DrDually

Post by DrDually »

Sounds like we have considerable interest...lets target Father's Day weekend for tasting etc
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
Greywolf

Post by Greywolf »

Brew day success... and... it seems my efficiency is through the roof. Accourding to the hydrometer, my efficiency is in the 88%+ range.
10.25 lbs of grain
1.067 OG....
Is a little high for CA Common, but the slightly higher mash temp and .75 oz N'brewer first wort hopped, with the 1.25 oz at 15 minutes should cover it... I hope
GreyWolf27
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Cal Common is one of my favorite styles to drink, but I have not brewed one to my satisfaction yet. Still looking for that balance between residual sweetness and hop bitterness. I'm in for a competition.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's