Washed Yeast

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

clarkfamilyhb

Washed Yeast

Post by clarkfamilyhb »

Hey all,

Got a question about some washed yeast and knowing if it is bad. I forgot to grab some yeast at the home brew store so I decided to use some washed yeast, but apparently I didn’t do the best job washing it and there is some hop materials left over. I don’t think there was very much hop material, just a small layer at the bottom of the jar. The hop material is currently sitting on top of the krausen so I know I have some good yeast growth and I am not too concerned with the hop material in the beer as I am doing a DIPA. But I always like to smell my starter to make sure it is not spoiled, when I get a good whiff of this starter, the hop scent and beer is all I get. Would a spoiled starter overpower the hop scent? Also, does anyone see any red flags with having some hop material making it into the beer being as I am doing a good sized DIPA.

Thanks,

Ian
bwarbiany

Re: Washed Yeast

Post by bwarbiany »

I can't answer your specific question.

But if you're willing to use dry yeast, you can run out and pick it up still today, and don't need to worry about making a new starter. Or if you're brewing now, pitching in the morning after you go to the store to pick some up won't hurt anything. US-05 is perfect for an IIPA :-)
Brad
clarkfamilyhb

Post by clarkfamilyhb »

Actually brewing tomorrow and was going to pick up some dry yeast while mashing if I had to. I would rather save the gass and use the starter though as long as I don't ruin the batch.
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

So, you took a jar of washed yeast, created a starter, and it took off just fine and you now have a nice krausen going .. and some hop material up there.

I wouldn't think the old hop material would be an issue in and of itself, especially relative to the volumes being used. As long as everything was kept sealed while stored so no nasties got in there, you should be good to go. :thumbup:

However, if you have a bad feeling about what you see/smell, I would rather make the extra run for dry yeast, than have to pour out a full batch. Let your nose be your guide...
--LexusChris

p.s. I usually keep an extra satchel of US-05 on hand for emergencies...
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

lexuschris wrote:p.s. I usually keep an extra satchel of US-05 on hand for emergencies...
You keep your purse full of US-05? LOL
clarkfamilyhb

Post by clarkfamilyhb »

well, I think it's fine. I smells good, I am just paranoid.
I will be sure to pick up some dry yeast as a just in case though.
Thanks all,
Ian
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

There's nothing to worry about with a little hop material in harvested yeast. Personally, I think you're better off not washing the yeast and just pitching what you harvest from the fermenter. I know I read a Q&A with a Wyeast guy and he said they recommend not washing the yeast. There's more to lose than to gain.