Tandem Double Ale clone - Pike Brewing Co.

Share recipes here and discuss recipes posted in the recipe database.

Moderator: Post Moderators

lexuschris

Tandem Double Ale clone - Pike Brewing Co.

Post by lexuschris »

Hey all,

I was just looking through some recipe thoughts I jotted down this past year, looking for some recipes to put in my queue for this Winter. I had a couple pints of Pike Brewing Company's "Tandem Double Ale" while in Seattle over the summer. Dang it was good! I made a few notes, and consulted their website for details. Check out the beer's datasheet.

So, while searching for a clone recipe in google, I found BadSaxx's post wanting this recipe. BadSaxx, did you try this one out? Have a start?

Here is what I came up with so far, 5-gal batch. Would appreciate any thoguhts or ideas on it. :)

Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 61.54 %
2.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 15.38 %
1.00 lb Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 7.69 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 5.77 %
0.25 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 1.92 %
0.75 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 19.9 IBU
0.75 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] (15 min) Hops 7.0 IBU
0.50 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1.00 lb Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 7.69 %
1 Pkgs Belgian Ale (White Labs #WLP550) Yeast-Ale

Mash @ 150-F for 60 mins.
60 minute boil.

Est Original Gravity: 1.069 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.89 %
Bitterness: 26.9 IBU Calories: 243 cal/pint
Est Color: 19.0 SRM

Many thanks,
--LexusChris
Last edited by lexuschris on Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
brahn
Site Admin

Re: Tandem Double Ale clone - Pike Brewing Co.

Post by brahn »

If the recipe calls for clear candi sugar, just use plain old sugar/sucrose/cane sugar. That's what the Belgians do. If you want some color from the sugar or more of those flavors then go with the captain's instructions or buy the stuff from Belgium. Looking at the data sheet from Pike, I'd probably go with the dark candi syrup that they import from Belgium.

I've never used coriander specifically, but I have used some other spices and .5oz in 5 gallons seems like a lot to me. I would probably cut that in half on a first attempt and adjust from there.
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

brew captain wrote:I think the SRM's for the roasted barley is off by a couple hundred points. I would plug 500 in there to get a more accurate measure of the final color (I have noticed that Beersmith has the default at 300 on this grain for some reason). Also, if that beer only has 43 calories per pint then I am a monkey's uncle. Probably more like 243 calories, but who's counting.
Yeah that is the default Beersmith value, and I think your right! I used a smidgen in a pale ale last month, and while tasty, the color came out much darker than I was expecting. Will have to fix that right away. And change it to a 90-min boil... a good idea! :idea:

.. and I did accidently DEL the 2 off the 243 calories/pint number.. :oops:
brahn wrote:Looking at the data sheet from Pike, I'd probably go with the dark candi syrup that they import from Belgium.

I've never used coriander specifically, but I have used some other spices and .5oz in 5 gallons seems like a lot to me. I would probably cut that in half on a first attempt and adjust from there.
Wasn't sure what color of candi sugar to use, but I had already pushed my SRM to the number on the recipe datasheet.. so I chose clear for now. Will play around with it some more..

As for the coriander, which I love in Belgian beers, I honestly do not recall any coriander flavor when I had the beer this summer. Mabye just a hint, but not like a true belgian beer..... So an even better reason to go extra light on this spice. Beersmith suggested .75oz/5-gal ... but now I know to not trust that as gospel. I'll research a bit more... and aim low. :)

Good tips! Thanks!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

So Chris, when are you thinking of brewing this?
Jon Image
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

JonGoku wrote:So Chris, when are you thinking of brewing this?
Well, my last 2 brews were repeat recipes. (Kinda nice to have had a few brews that I enjoyed enough to repeat for a change!) But, I have the itch to create & brew a new recipe. I keep a folder in BeerSmith for recipe ideas that I get while reading posts, magazines or other inspirations. :happybeer:

So, I'll either try this recipe next, or a porter. I also want to do my Xmas 2010 specialty beer soon, so it can age for at least 9 months prior to serving... (I have 2 or 3 good recipe ideas for that one).

I brewed on 1/1/10, so hopefully I'll get another brewday near month-end. :)
--LexusChris
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

Have you read "Designing Great Beers" by Daniels? If not, it's a must read. It really helped me to spot what's to style for a recipe and what's not. I remember seeing a Dusseldorf Alt recipe in BYO and thinking it looked like a great recipe. After reading DGB, I saw the recipe again and realized, while it looked like it would be a good beer, it was NOT going to be a Dusseldorf Alt.

Anyway, now that you've got procedure and such down, read it. It will have an impact on your beers.
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

backyard brewer wrote:Have you read "Designing Great Beers" by Daniels? If not, it's a must read.
Another great suggestion! I'll have to pick this one up! Thanks!
--LexusChris
backyard brewer

lexuschris wrote:
backyard brewer wrote:Have you read "Designing Great Beers" by Daniels? If not, it's a must read.
Another great suggestion! I'll have to pick this one up! Thanks!
--LexusChris
You can borrow mine if you like, but I would like it back when you're done
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

backyard brewer wrote:Have you read "Designing Great Beers" by Daniels? If not, it's a must read. It really helped me to spot what's to style for a recipe and what's not. I remember seeing a Dusseldorf Alt recipe in BYO and thinking it looked like a great recipe. After reading DGB, I saw the recipe again and realized, while it looked like it would be a good beer, it was NOT going to be a Dusseldorf Alt.

Anyway, now that you've got procedure and such down, read it. It will have an impact on your beers.
+1

You're gonna love this book Chris
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Update: BYO March-April '10 issue has a clone recipe with comments by Drew Cluley, head brewer at Pike. Here it is, translated into Beer Smith... :) (Oh, and I picked up Daniels book .. AWESOME!)

Pike Tandem Ale Clone - BYO issue

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 48.33 %
3.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 22.30 %
1.20 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 8.92 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 7.43 %
1.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 7.43 %
0.25 lb Roasted Barley (500.0 SRM) Grain 1.86 %
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [9.00 %] (75 min) Hops 15.1 IBU
0.50 oz Mt. Hood [4.50 %] (30 min) Hops 5.5 IBU
0.50 oz Mt. Hood [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 3.6 IBU
6.00 items Coriander Seed (Boil 1.0 min) Misc
0.50 lb Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 SRM) Sugar 3.72 %
1 Pkgs Abbey Ale (White Labs #WLP530) Yeast-Ale

Mash @ 152-F for 60 mins.
90 minute boil.
Add cane sugar in last 20 mins of boil. Add crushed coriander seeds in last minute of boil.

Est Original Gravity: 1.070 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.99 %
Bitterness: 26.4 IBU
Est Color: 22.1 SRM

Enjoy!
--LexusChris
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

browser hiccup ... removed double post... :) :) :)
--lc
oc eric

Post by oc eric »

[quote="backyard brewer"]Have you read "Designing Great Beers" by Daniels? If not, it's a must read. quote]
I was wondering about this book. I'll have to get it now that it has been brew commune endorsed.
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway
backyard brewer

oc eric wrote:
I was wondering about this book. I'll have to get it now that it has been brew commune endorsed.
In all seriousness... If you buy this book, read the whole thing. Actually read it. And you can look me in the eye and tell me you don't feel like you got your dollars worth. I'll buy the book from you for what you paid for it. (Under $30)

This offer is limited to BrewCommune members only and you'd better be ready to debate me as to why. I'll still pay even if I lose the debate.
BadSaxx

Post by BadSaxx »

Wow, the Coriander and Abbey Ale are a big shocker, and I was guessing that there was Rye in it too. I could never find the Tandem recipe, so I ended up doing Morebeer's "Fire in the Hole" (blog post http://huningtonsachsbrauerei.blogspot. ... reaks.html ), which is another Imperial Red. It was a great beer, but the Double Tandem is a little smoother and rounder -- will definitely try this.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

backyard brewer wrote:
oc eric wrote:
In all seriousness... If you buy this book, read the whole thing. Actually read it. And you can look me in the eye and tell me you don't feel like you got your dollars worth. I'll buy the book from you for what you paid for it. (Under $30)

This offer is limited to BrewCommune members only and you'd better be ready to debate me as to why. I'll still pay even if I lose the debate.
+1

It's a fantastic book for any brewer. One of my must haves, along with How to Brew, Brew Like a Monk and Farmhouse Ales.