Anderson Valley Boont Amber ale - extract brewing

Share recipes here and discuss recipes posted in the recipe database.

Moderator: Post Moderators

tikitatt

Anderson Valley Boont Amber ale - extract brewing

Post by tikitatt »

Does anyone have a clone recipe for Anderson Valley Boont amber ale?

Thanks,
John
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Re: Anderson Valley Boont Amber ale - extract brewing

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I wish I had a recipe for Boont Amber. I really like that beer. I did a search for a recipe, but none of them even looked close to a good clone since they almost doubled the IBUs of the original beer. Boont Amber is only around 15 IBUs.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
tikitatt

Post by tikitatt »

Thanks, I haven't found anything online yet. Oh well.
BrewMasterBrad wrote:I wish I had a recipe for Boont Amber. I really like that beer. I did a search for a recipe, but none of them even looked close to a good clone since they almost doubled the IBUs of the original beer. Boont Amber is only around 15 IBUs.
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

I saw a few references to a book "Beer Captured", which has a clone recipe. There is an article here on HBT with the recipe listed. He shows it as 34 IBU, but I have not tried putting into Beersmith to verify.

If you find nothing else, you could always give it a try and compare it to the real thing. Then take notes of where it differs, and adjust the recipe for next time.
:cheers:
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

I have Beer Captured and while the recipes I've made in there were good beer, they were not clones of the intended beer. Funny thing is the same holds true for Clone Brews. BTW, Beer Captured lists it as 31 IBU.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Well, that just goes to show you that I have been doing this too long and my memory is not what it used to be. I have Beer Captured and I brewed their Boont Amber clone over 5 years ago (7/7/2005). I don't think I did a side by side comparison with the commercial example. The recipe I used is below, I substituted some of the hops from the recipe in the book.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Brad's Amber
Brewer: Brad Nixon
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Amber Ale
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (40.0) Good, well rounded taste.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 4.08 gal
Estimated OG: 1.058 SG
Estimated Color: 14.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 52.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 88.89 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 75L (75.0 SRM) Grain 8.33 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2.78 %
1.00 oz Galena [12.00 %] (60 min) Hops 47.7 IBU
0.50 oz Santiam [6.90 %] (15 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
0.25 oz Liberty [5.20 %] (15 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
0.50 oz Liberty [5.20 %] (1 min) (Aroma Hop-SteepHops -
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)
tikitatt

Post by tikitatt »

Hey All,

Thanks for the help on my quest to brew Anderson Valley Boont Amber Ale. I'm going to use Brad’s recipe and buy the ingredients this week. Do you guys like Beer Captured or do you recommend another book?

Thanks again,
John
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Beer Captured is fine until you start to develop a sense of what you like in a beer, then you can start to formulate your own recipes.
tikitatt

Post by tikitatt »

Looks like I'm buying another book. Now I just need the time to read them all. Ha, ha!
BrewMasterBrad wrote:Beer Captured is fine until you start to develop a sense of what you like in a beer, then you can start to formulate your own recipes.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

tikitatt wrote:Looks like I'm buying another book. Now I just need the time to read them all. Ha, ha!
BrewMasterBrad wrote:Beer Captured is fine until you start to develop a sense of what you like in a beer, then you can start to formulate your own recipes.
The first book you should read is How to Brew by John Palmer. It has detailed information on both extract and all-grain brewing. During the 10 months that I was brewing exract beers, I must have read the chapters on all-grain 20 times before attempting my first all-grain batch. There is an online version at http://www.howtobrew.com, but I would suggest getting the latest print version since it is more complete and more up to date than the online version.

Recipes don't mean squat if your process is no good.
tikitatt

Post by tikitatt »

Hi Brad,

I think I have read the book 3 times so far and still feel lost. I bring it everywhere I go. I mean everywhere. Ha, ha!

Thanks,
John

BrewMasterBrad wrote:
tikitatt wrote:Looks like I'm buying another book. Now I just need the time to read them all. Ha, ha!
The first book you should read is How to Brew by John Palmer. It has detailed information on both extract and all-grain brewing. During the 10 months that I was brewing exract beers, I must have read the chapters on all-grain 20 times before attempting my first all-grain batch. There is an online version at http://www.howtobrew.com, but I would suggest getting the latest print version since it is more complete and more up to date than the online version.

Recipes don't mean squat if your process is no good.
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

After you get a little firmer grip on process, I'd really recommend Designing Great Beers by Daniels. The most important thing I got from the book was the ability to look at a recipe, espcially a clone recipe, and have a much better idea of what the recipe is going to produce.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

backyard brewer wrote:After you get a little firmer grip on process, I'd really recommend Designing Great Beers by Daniels. The most important thing I got from the book was the ability to look at a recipe, espcially a clone recipe, and have a much better idea of what the recipe is going to produce.
Absolutely, what a great book. While there are many good books on hombrewing out there, the two that are absolutely required in any serious brewer's library are How to Brew and Designing Great Beers (IMHO).

If you want a recipe book (not a "clone" recipe book), get Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer. It's full of great recipes and tons of information and background on beer styles.
tikitatt

Post by tikitatt »

Hey Derrin and Brad,

I can take food and know if I were to put a little of this or that it will taste good. Have you gotten to the point where you just know going outside of the recipe to change up the flavor a bit will work? I know I'm green when it comes to brewing and want to try a lot of styles but I'm a little shy and not sure if or when I’m ready to stray from the recipe.

John
BrewMasterBrad wrote:
backyard brewer wrote:After you get a little firmer grip on process, I'd really recommend Designing Great Beers by Daniels. The most important thing I got from the book was the ability to look at a recipe, espcially a clone recipe, and have a much better idea of what the recipe is going to produce.
Absolutely, what a great book. While there are many good books on hombrewing out there, the two that are absolutely required in any serious brewer's library are How to Brew and Designing Great Beers (IMHO).

If you want a recipe book (not a "clone" recipe book), get Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer. It's full of great recipes and tons of information and background on beer styles.
DrDually

Post by DrDually »

John
You probably have already heard this, but here goes...get the process down using known and trusted kits.
Once you are comfortable with this, then start changing recipes etc. This will avoid trying to make too many changes and not having a good starting point

Just my .02 worth
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch