Chocolate Chipotle Porter

Share recipes here and discuss recipes posted in the recipe database.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Marotte Brewery

Chocolate Chipotle Porter

Post by Marotte Brewery »

For anyone interested, I posted my Choc.Chipotle Porter recipe in the club database.

http://www.brewcommune.com/recipedb/recipe.php?r=226

I am going to take Pete's advice and brew this a few more times without the "crazy stuff", as just a robust porter to get the base beer refined and perfected. I may just need some more kegs to store these for some bulk aging, as robust porter might not be the best summer "lawnmower" beer.
lexuschris

Re: Chocolate Chipotle Porter

Post by lexuschris »

Thanks for posting this Jeremy! :happybeer:

I really enjoy porters, and it was a treat to try 2 different porters with different approaches to using chilis. The chipolte flavors came through well in yours! How did you prepare the chipolte peppers?

As for storage of beers like this, I still keep my bottling stuff around. I figure why tie up a keg for 6-8 months waiting. Plus, I can sample the brew at various times during aging without having to hook it up the tap. A bit more work at bottling time, but it gives us a lot of flexibility down the road.

Plus, if its exotic, you may only want to enjoy a bottle here & there. Or, bring it to the next holiday bottle exchange! :twisted:
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Some may find it odd, but a nice porter makes for a good breakfast when you don't have time for something else.
Marotte Brewery

Post by Marotte Brewery »

lexuschris wrote:How did you prepare the chipolte peppers?
I bought the peppers from a Mexican market called "El Metate" in Fullerton near Addison (on State College just South of the 91). They were dried and came in 1 oz bags. I simply sliced the peppers width wise (to make circles) and then put them all into a hop bag (seeds and all). Then I threw the bag into the boil for 5 min and left it there during cool down and transfer.

I was hoping for more heat out of the peppers, but I am real happy with the roasty flavor that they bring.

Another note: The hops I used were just what I happen to have on hand, as I didn't think they would be detectable. Might try something more traditionally porter next time to see.