The Brewfooery #16 "Big Bodhi Wit"

Share recipes here and discuss recipes posted in the recipe database.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Brewfoo

The Brewfooery #16 "Big Bodhi Wit"

Post by Brewfoo »

Since I'm a newbie here, I thought I should post some of my Frankenbrew recipes which I plan on bringing tonight to my first meeting. This was my first extract wit beer recipe which, like most of homebrews, I couldn't resist adding stuff to whether it's known to be in style or not. I've experimented with a few adjunct sugars to raise the ABV on the cheap and found my homeland's(Siam) main food ingredient, palm sugar, to be the best. I love strong beers, big beers, doubles, and imperials. So here's my attempt at a double wit beer:

3 lbs Wheat DME
3 lbs Briess Pilsen Light DME
35 oz Palm Sugar (most Asian supermarkets will carry it)
16 oz Piloncillo Mexican brown sugar
1 lb Rolled Oates (steeping 60 mins)
1 oz Paradise seeds
1 oz Bitter Orange Peel
2 oz Sweet Orange Peel
1 oz Coriander Seeds
1 oz Dried ginger roots
2 oz Cardamon seeds

Czech Saaz Hops for boil (1 oz @ 60 min, .5 oz @30 min, .5 oz @15 min)
White Labs Belgian Wit Yeast- WLP400

Steeped rolled oates for 60 mins.
Add malt extracts, adjunct sugars.
Add Paradise seeds, coriander seeds, ginger roots, yeast nutrients @ 15 mins.

Ferment 23 days in primary fermenter. Crush cardamon seeds and boil for 10 mins. in enough water to cover seeds. Allow to cool and add to bottling bucket. Bottle with 5 oz corn sugar for bottle conditioning. :lol:
Beer....it's the new "water."
backyard brewer

Re: The Brewfooery #16 "Big Bodhi Wit"

Post by backyard brewer »

Looks interesting, sorry I missed the meeting, others probably mentioned this, but the oats need to be mashed to contribute anything other than starch and haze. You can pull this off with a mini mash without too much trouble, although a pound is a lof of adjunct and you'd want to use about 3 pounds of 6-row to get that to convert.
Brewfoo

Re: The Brewfooery #16 "Big Bodhi Wit"

Post by Brewfoo »

Agreed. I was told to steep the oates to just get the haze for the wit style. I was actually trying to make a similar wit my friend, Daniel, made but he does partial mashing. I am still learning and he may show me in the near future how he does partial mashing.

I have been making some decent beer with extracts and adjuncts. I appreciate any help or advice. I don't always listen to them until something goes wrong.
Beer....it's the new "water."