Looking for a partial mash Kolsch recipe

Share recipes here and discuss recipes posted in the recipe database.

Moderator: Post Moderators

backhousebrew

Looking for a partial mash Kolsch recipe

Post by backhousebrew »

Anyone have a link to a 5 gallon partial mash Kolsch using DME?
I'll be brewing at the Brew Ha Ha on Sep 10th
Stop by and sample some Smokin' Hemp Ale on tap from BackHouseBrew!
Drink Good Beer!
lexuschris

Re: Looking for a partial mash Kolsch recipe

Post by lexuschris »

Brad has some Kolsch recipes in the club database ... like this one..

You could sub the Pilsner malt with Breiss Pilsen DME, and then mini-mash the Vienna malt (or just leave it out.. the DME probably has some non-pilsen malt in with it...). A single bittering addtion and Kolsch yeast should get you there... :)

--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

All my Kolsch recipes are all-grain, but you should be able to convert to partial mash. Kolsch is not a complicated recipe. You can go with all Pilsner malt with a little Vienna or Wheat. Hop once at 60 minutes to get 25-30 IBUs. The key is using the Kolsch yeast. I normally use WLP029 with good results. I usually shoot for starting gravity of 1.048 to 1.050. You don't want to go above that as this is a really easy drinking style.

Here is an example of a recipe that I have used several times - http://www.brewconsume.net/recipes/winn ... pes_10.htm
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
backhousebrew

Post by backhousebrew »

Thanks for the responses. Good info.
I didn't know about the low fermenting temps.
Drink Good Beer!
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I normally ferment at 65F with the WLP029 yeast. This is at the bottom of the suggested temp range for this yeast and it will produce sulfur during fermentation, so be prepared for that. I find that as I repitch this yeast into the next beer, it produces less sulfur which is probably the result of a higher cell count and less stress on the yeast. I like to let my Kolsch beers lager for about a month before I drink them.

I have a Kolsch on tap right now and second one in the fermenter. I am brewing a third as soon as the one in the fermenter is ready. I am only changing the hops in each itteration of this beer.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
backhousebrew

Post by backhousebrew »

BrewMasterBrad wrote:I normally ferment at 65F with the WLP029 yeast. This is at the bottom of the suggested temp range for this yeast and it will produce sulfur during fermentation, so be prepared for that. I find that as I repitch this yeast into the next beer, it produces less sulfur which is probably the result of a higher cell count and less stress on the yeast. I like to let my Kolsch beers lager for about a month before I drink them.

I have a Kolsch on tap right now and second one in the fermenter. I am brewing a third as soon as the one in the fermenter is ready. I am only changing the hops in each itteration of this beer.
I should probably come over and sample a whole bunch of your Kolsch before I decide. :)
Drink Good Beer!
Grande69

Post by Grande69 »

HEY! I was at the Brew Ha Ha. Where were you at that you were able to brew?
California - Where the ground moves and the traffic doesn't.
backhousebrew

Post by backhousebrew »

Grande69 wrote:HEY! I was at the Brew Ha Ha. Where were you at that you were able to brew?

I shared a booth with Addison Homebrew Provisions. We were next to the fire engine area, next to the coke machines near the restroom building.
Hope to do it again next year!
AHP sign(1).JPG
AHP sign(1).JPG (285.47 KiB) Viewed 6304 times
Drink Good Beer!