Club Meeting - May 16th, 2017 7:00 PM

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

CurtisG

Club Meeting - May 16th, 2017 7:00 PM

Post by CurtisG »

Club Meeting – May 16th at Super Mex Cantina – Huntington Beach 7:00 pm

The May 2017 meeting will be held at Super Mex in Huntington beach
Located at:
17210 Pacific Coast Hwy
Huntington Beach, CA 92648

This Super Mex has a full bar and 24 taps. They have a wide selection of craft beers including some hard to find beers.

They are welcoming us to take over the patio for this meeting, We're really close to the beach so I would recommend a jacket.

Super Mex is also located next to Riip Brewing. We have some members planning to hit them up before the meeting, feel free to join us!

If you have homebrew you wish to share or get feedback on, please bring that with you.

Meetings are open to all Brewcommune forum members (paid and non-paid). If you are new to Brewcommune, please come out and introduce yourself.

Please post a reply here if you plan on attending!
Reid
Club Treasurer

Re: Club Meeting - May 16th, 2017 7:00 PM

Post by Reid »

I'll be attending and will be bringing a Czech Premium Lager and a California Common.
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

I'm out of town, but I do like the venue! Would have loved to see the new Riip expansion as well!
--Chris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

I'll be there! Likely going to RIIP prior to the meeting too.
ScottK

Post by ScottK »

Open house night for the kids. See you at the next one.
I have not yet begun to defile myself.
MrAverageGuy

Post by MrAverageGuy »

I should be able to make this on the way back from LA. Will bring some of my latest if I can figure out how to transfer from the keg to a bottle.
CurtisG

Post by CurtisG »

MrAverageGuy wrote:I should be able to make this on the way back from LA. Will bring some of my latest if I can figure out how to transfer from the keg to a bottle.
I use the very scientific "tube jammed through a rubber stopper" method to fill bottles from a keg. It works surprisingly well.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=27171
MrAverageGuy

Post by MrAverageGuy »

Yes, I will attempt this technology you speak of. If all goes well, I'll show up with a Wee Heavy and a Rye IPA.
indianajns

Post by indianajns »

Notes: BrewCommune Meeting 5/16/17 - Supermex

April 20th was our off-month meeting held at Unsung Brewery in Anaheim. We had a good turnout with 15 - 20 participants. Brewery and owner were very receptive to our club and great hosts.

Please let the forum know if you are coming or not coming to brew day or the monthly meetings. It is important we have a head count for the venues that are hosting us.

May 6th was the SCHF. Our club had 13 campsites, 22 taps, and 26 beers. Relative quality, as is usually the case with our club, was high.

Club Brew days: Jon W was March, Tim S was April. Light turnout of these brew days. Please try to make these events. You can learn a tremendous amount at these events and attendance is advised.

Competitions: AHA 1st Round - Greg H has 2 beers, English IPA and a Sweet Stout advancing to the finals in Minnesota.

Homebrew brought:

Reid:
Chec Pilz
California Common

Jim :
Rye IPA
Wee Heavy

Hassam
Pale Ale

Curtis:
Blonde Ale

Fantastic style presentation by Justin: (Justin also went above and beyond by providing the following notes:)

7a- Vienna Lager
History
Developed by Anton Dreher in Vienna in 1841, became popular in the mid-late 1800s. Now nearly extinct in its area of origin, the style continues in Mexico where it was brought by Santiago Graf and other Austrian immigrant brewers in the late 1800s.

Description
A moderate-strength amber lager with a soft, smooth maltiness and moderate bitterness, yet finishing relatively dry. The malt flavor is clean, bready-rich, and somewhat toasty, with an elegant impression derived from quality base malts and process, not specialty malts and adjuncts. Vienna malt provides a lightly toasty and complex malt profile. Only the finest quality malt should be used, along with Continental hops, preferably Saazer types or Styrians.

Examples
1. Figueroa Mountain Danish Red Lager - 2015 BJCP classic example
2. Negra Modelo - 2008 BJCP classic example

7b- Altbier
History
The traditional style of beer from Düsseldorf. “Alt” refers to the “old” style of brewing that was common before lager brewing became popular. Predates the isolation of bottom-fermenting yeast strains, though it approximates many characteristics of bottom-fermenting lager beers. Many of the classic examples can be found in brewpubs in the Altstadt (“old town”) section of Düsseldorf.

Description
A well-balanced, well-attenuated, bitter yet malty, clean, and smooth, amber- to copper-colored German beer. The bitterness is balanced by the malt richness, but the malt intensity and character can range from moderate to high (the bitterness increases with the malt richness). A top-fermented lagered beer, fermented at cool ale temperature (59–68 °F), often conditioned at bottom-fermentation temperatures (about 50 °F) and then lagered at cold temperatures to produce a cleaner, smoother palate than is typical for most ales.

Examples
Alaskan Amber - 2008 BJCP classic example
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

indianajns wrote:Please let the forum know if you are coming or not coming to brew day or the monthly meetings. It is important we have a head count for the venues that are hosting us.
FYI I recommend posting a poll regarding attendance as was often done last year. I, for example, didn't respond to the post just to announce I wasn't going to make the meeting, but had you posted a poll, I would have affirmed "No".
Brad
CurtisG

Post by CurtisG »

Thanks for posting the notes up Greg!
bwarbiany wrote:FYI I recommend posting a poll regarding attendance as was often done last year. I, for example, didn't respond to the post just to announce I wasn't going to make the meeting, but had you posted a poll, I would have affirmed "No".
This was also mentioned at the club meeting. Good Idea! I'll start making the meeting posts as polls now.
Reid
Club Treasurer

Post by Reid »

Advanced notice would also help. Also, are the event notices posted here and on Facebook?
CurtisG

Post by CurtisG »

Reid wrote:Advanced notice would also help. Also, are the event notices posted here and on Facebook?
Agreed. I'll try to get them up by the first of the month.
Notices are posted here and emailed out. As well as posted on facebook