OxyClean for Carboys / Ehrlenmeyer Flasks

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

dhempy

OxyClean for Carboys / Ehrlenmeyer Flasks

Post by dhempy »

So I had a 6.5 gallon carboy with a several day old krausen crust that needed to be cleaned. "Mister" Kevin suggested that I try Oxyclean as in his experience, an overnight soaking would clean it right up. Well I'm here to say, IT DOES!!

I'll admit I was a bit skeptical ... but I went for it, and I'm glad I did. Maybe it is old news to some, but if it isn't, I suggest you give it a try. Cool tap water and a couple of table spoons was all it took. I also soaked my ehrlenmeyer flasks ... nice and clean as well.

Props to Kevin for the suggestion!

Dan
huntfisher

Post by huntfisher »

where did you purchase since all I can find are these tabs for $25. What price did you pay.
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

You can get a tub of it from Sam's Club, Costco, where-ever, even the grocery store. I buy the generic version "Oxygenated Cleanser" because it doesn't have the blue 'power crystals' or whatever, nor does it have any kind of 'fresh scent'

Oxyclean is very similar to PBW.
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

Yep, I do the same thing. I've always used hot water though... I guess cold water is just as effective and I'm doing it wrong? It's worked though!
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

I found it at Walmart ... I think I paid $9 for a small tub. I later saw it at Costco for $14 for a large box (don't remember what size).

Dan
lars

Post by lars »

I think I bought mine at Target. Make sure if you buy Oxyclean, you get the "Free and Clear" version. No dyes or perfumes. I've used it with both warm and cold water. If I'm going to let something soak, then I use cold. If I plan on using the item soon, then I'll use warm water.
Shut up and brew
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

It works great to get the labels off of bottles too. Practically melts them off. Glad it worked for you Dan.
Kevin
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Next time I have bottles (hopefully a long way off) to do, I'll give it a try.

Thanks again!

Dan
gromitdj

Post by gromitdj »

I just bought a small tub @ the Dollar Tree because I didn't want to invest in a big box without knowing if it was going to work. It did. I put 2 scoops in my sink added the hot water and as many bottles as I could and let the bottles soak for a couple of hours. Most of the labels were laying in the bottom of the sink. I then used the same water for 2 more batches of bottles throughout the day. Worked great, and if you only want a little, I'd try the dollar stores.
JonGoku

Re: OxyClean for Carboys / Ehrlenmeyer Flasks

Post by JonGoku »

Wow, worked like a charm on the lables.

One question, is Oxyclean "free", the non-scented version, an ok detergent to use as a primary cleaning detergent for all equipment prior to sanitizing? This probably sounds like a pretty dumb question, but believe me it sounded much more complex before I put it in writing :roll:.
Jon Image
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

JonGoku wrote:Wow, worked like a charm on the lables.

One question, is Oxyclean "free", the non-scented version, an ok detergent to use as a primary cleaning detergent for all equipment prior to sanitizing? This probably sounds like a pretty dumb question, but believe me it sounded much more complex before I put it in writing :roll:.
Yes the free verion is the one to get. It's a great cleaner, but I find it needs to be used with warm/hot water to be the most effective.
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

It's pretty much what I use for just about everything. Just make sure to rinse well before sanitizing.
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Great, thanks for the answers.
Jon Image