Anyone use pin-lock kegs?

Old posts and such end up here. This forum is still visible.

Moderator: Post Moderators

maltbarley

Anyone use pin-lock kegs?

Post by maltbarley »

I have one and don't really have a use for it. It's clean and holds pressure. Make me an offer I can't refuse...like a bottle of Celebration.
brahn
Site Admin

Re: Anyone use pin-lock kegs?

Post by brahn »

I think I saw an add for pin lock -> ball log post conversions from one of the online homebrew supply shops not too long ago.
Edit: A bit pricey, but here: http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?mai ... 4ccdf77eb3
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Aluminum posts...sounds like trouble.
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

brahn wrote:I think I saw an add for pin lock -> ball log post conversions from one of the online homebrew supply shops not too long ago.
Edit: A bit pricey, but here: http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?mai ... 4ccdf77eb3
That's actually not a bad price for two fittings they are having made. This cracks me up though:
CHI Co wrote:The fittings are made of precision machined 2011 T3 aluminum and anodized to give a corrosion proof, food grade coating that is durable and will not chip or peel making it superior to stainless steel.
OK... Coating a metal to make it food grade does not make it superior to a metal that is food grade all by itself....

And to make my point:
CHI Co wrote: WARNING: Posts are not compatible with alkaline cleaners & chemicals. Remove from tank before using any alkaline substance.
oc eric

Post by oc eric »

brahn wrote:I think I saw an add for pin lock -> ball log post conversions from one of the online homebrew supply shops not too long ago.
I can order those for anyone interested...
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

backyard brewer wrote:
That's actually not a bad price for two fittings they are having made. This cracks me up though:
CHI Co wrote:The fittings are made of precision machined 2011 T3 aluminum and anodized to give a corrosion proof, food grade coating that is durable and will not chip or peel making it superior to stainless steel.
OK... Coating a metal to make it food grade does not make it superior to a metal that is food grade all by itself....

And to make my point:
CHI Co wrote: WARNING: Posts are not compatible with alkaline cleaners & chemicals. Remove from tank before using any alkaline substance.
By pricey I was really thinking that compared to $25-30 for a "new" keg it may not be worth it. However, a quick search seems to indicate that used kegs are no longer as readily available and cheap as they used to be so $16 for new posts might be pretty attractive.

I certainly don't think that the coated aluminum is better than stainless, but if you've got one pin lock and don't want to buy all the fittings it might be a reasonable way to go. It would be a pain to have to clean the posts separately from everything else though since you can't use PBW. It's nice to know that Eric can order these for whoever might be willing to part with a bottle of Celebration. :)
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Hey JonGoku:

Didn't we buy a set of pin lock kegs for you? Since you're already on pin locks, you should jump on this.

Dan
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

And if somebody doesn't claim it soon, I'm going to add a Schrader valve to it and use it to store tennis balls.

Just to be clear, it's free to someone who will use it...not sell or morph it.
BARL Brewing

Post by BARL Brewing »

I’ll take it if nobody has claimed it yet.