AHA National Homebrew Comp. entries due 4-11-08!

Old posts and such end up here. This forum is still visible.

Moderator: Post Moderators

spkrtoy

Post by spkrtoy »

Damn, they "must" have been stellar examples if our previous winning beers did not place!

Just goes to show that brewers save their best beers for the AHA and use the other comps to test them out to see how they'll fare.

I'll post in another thread the feedback scoresheet I got on my belgian strong from Peter Zein from Alesmith. It truley is one of the BEST examples of a constructive scoresheet I've seen, EVER!
Cheers,
Lyn
Everybody has the right to be stupid. Some people abuse the privilege.

I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it.
What I don't Know Far out weighs what I do.
lars

Post by lars »

Results are now posted on beertown.org. Brad's Stout took 1st!

Congrats Brad, Lyn, and Mike!!!
Shut up and brew
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Wow... I was saying previously that I would be a bit disappointed if my APA didn't place (it's scored above 40 in both comp's I've previously entered), but that I didn't have a clue what to make of the stout.

So, I guess all I can say is WOOHOO!!!
Brad
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Way to go guys!!! While I am disappointed in the showing of my beers, I am proud that our club got a few beers through to the next round. TVHA got some beers through too.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

Good job everyone! That's awesome.

Crap man. My Wee Heavy scored 39 and the high in the category was 39.5 and it didn't place? WTF?
Last edited by backyard brewer on Thu May 08, 2008 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

Way to go guys!
Kevin
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Top score for stout was 38 and my 36 didn't place either. I guess it was crowded up at the top...

Nice work Brad, Mike and Lyn.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Hmm, I just noticed that the high score in the Amber Hybrid category was 42, but Mike/Lyn's beer got a 37 and won the category. I'm sure there's a reason for it, but that seems a little counterintuitive to me. Can someone who's judged before help explain why that might happen?
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Congrats to the winners!

Dan
DHoke

Post by DHoke »

Dont forget about the co-brewers. We help make the magic happen too!
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

DHoke wrote:Dont forget about the co-brewers. We help make the magic happen too!
With the new fridge, I believe you're now "Vice President of Fermentation Temperature" :lol:
Brad
DHoke

Post by DHoke »

brahn wrote:Hmm, I just noticed that the high score in the Amber Hybrid category was 42, but Mike/Lyn's beer got a 37 and won the category. I'm sure there's a reason for it, but that seems a little counterintuitive to me. Can someone who's judged before help explain why that might happen?
Can someone address this. I am interested to hear the answer as well.
Dustin Hoke
lars

Post by lars »

DHoke wrote:
brahn wrote:Hmm, I just noticed that the high score in the Amber Hybrid category was 42, but Mike/Lyn's beer got a 37 and won the category. I'm sure there's a reason for it, but that seems a little counterintuitive to me. Can someone who's judged before help explain why that might happen?
Just a guess... but what may have happened is that there was a mini best of show (MBOS) round for that category where several great beers were put up against each other regardless of score. During the MBOS the initial scores were ignored, and the judges simply selected the best beer out of several excellent examples. Maybe Lyn can chime in on this... it should say MBOS somewhere on the score sheet if this is what happened.
Shut up and brew
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

DHoke wrote:
My guess is that they all the 7a beers together, then all the 7b beers together, etc. Then they have a mini BOS session to choose the 3 best category 7 beers. The scoring is done in the first round and the places are chosen during the mini BOS round, therefore the highest scoring beer in a subcategory may not actually end up being the first place beer for the entire category. But I'm just guessing.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Lars wrote:
DHoke wrote:
Just a guess... but what may have happened is that there was a mini best of show (MBOS) round for that category where several great beers were put up against each other regardless of score. During the MBOS the initial scores were ignored, and the judges simply selected the best beer out of several excellent examples. Maybe Lyn can chime in on this... it should say MBOS somewhere on the score sheet if this is what happened.
Great minds think alike, eh Lars?