AHA Club-Only Competition Perfect Porter Challenge

Old posts and such end up here. This forum is still visible.

Moderator: Post Moderators

spkrtoy

Post by spkrtoy »

Next Club only Comp:

03/29/2008
Zionsville, IN

Phone: (317) 873-6976
Entry Fee: One entry per club, $7 (make checks payable to AHA).
Entry Deadline: 03/21/2008

Who's got a beer for this? It's 8 weeks away now.
Cheers,
Lyn
Everybody has the right to be stupid. Some people abuse the privilege.

I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it.
What I don't Know Far out weighs what I do.
lars

Post by lars »

I have a chocolate hazelnut porter that came out pretty good. But, I'm not sure that would fit in category.
Shut up and brew
spkrtoy

Post by spkrtoy »

Hosted by Ron Smith and the Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI) of Indianapolis, IN, this competition covers BJCP Category 12 beer styles.
Lars, that's correct, that beer would be a category 23 specialty beer.
Cheers,
Lyn

dhempy

Post by dhempy »

I'm going to try and brew a porter of some sort for this comp. I have a vanilla porter waiting to be tapped but like Lars' it would be a specialty beer.

Dan
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

OK ... My Brown Porter is in the fermenter.

I'm contemplating bottle aging some of this should BC decide that this'll be the entry. Anyone know how many bottles are required for entry? I'll assume 3 ... just to be safe I'll bottle a 12 pack and that'll allow for some taste testing ... I'll also plan on bottling a couple that were force carbonated as well.

So looking ahead, the entry deadline is 3/21 ... so we should ship at least a week ahead of that. From a timing perspective, when should we do a taste test?

I'll have a look at the trampoline competition calendar ... I would bet I'll be driving through in early March sometime (since the comps are monthly and our next one is next weekend) and I could drop something off then ...

Dan
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

I'm planning on taking a reading tomorrow to see where we sit ... the fermenter has been siting at around 60 degrees for several days now (found a n ice cool spot while we were in San Diego for tramp competition). Assuming we're at target gravity, I'll try to bottle some for bottle conditioning and put the rest in a keg and force carbonate. Then I'll try to get it to you guys for the taste test.

When is that again?

Dan
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Final Gravity is 1.020 ... I'm thinking that this may be better suited to a Robust Porter as opposed to a regular Brown Porter .. it might be a bit hoppy for a Brown. I'll let the group decide should this be chosen as the entry. Bottling / kegging today (Saturday).

Dan
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Well, I need to get this beer into someone's hands this week for the tasting. What I was planning on doing was to get 6 bottles ... 3 bottle conditioned and 3 force carbonated to the group for tasting. I'll keep another 3 bottle conditioned ones here for shipping (if the club chooses). If the bottle conditioned aren't ready, I can bottle up 3 more force carbonated for shipping (again, if chosen).

I'm hoping to get down to Torrance this week .. that would be an ideal spot to make the exchange. Unless, anyone is coming up north?!?

Dan
Last edited by dhempy on Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Does anyone else want to step up to the plate on this one? It sounds like Dan is ready to kick some ass. I don't have any porters ready right now. My point is, if Dan is the only one with a beer ready for this comp, we should just have him send it in rather than go through all the trouble of having a tasting to determine our entry. Speak up now!

Brad
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

BrewMasterBrad wrote:Does anyone else want to step up to the plate on this one?
Brad
I think that Tim (Maltbarley) has one and we haven't heard from Robert (Brew Captain) to know if he ever pulled his off.

Dan
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

After spending the last week sick and mostly in bed, I didn't get mine kegged. I'll try to get it kegged tonight and sample it and will let you know if it's up for the challenge.
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

Just started a new job and have been working like a dog. I wanted to brew last Sunday, but got rained out. What a paradox - I have more grain and hops than ever, but no time to brew! Plus I got another baby (boy!) coming in June so I really got to get off my ass here and get some beers in the tank!!!

Good luck Dan!

Cheers!
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Brew Captain wrote:Just started a new job and have been working like a dog. I wanted to brew last Sunday, but got rained out. What a paradox - I have more grain and hops than ever, but no time to brew! Plus I got another baby (boy!) coming in June so I really got to get off my ass here and get some beers in the tank!!!

Good luck Dan!

Cheers!
The irony is, if you spent more time brewing and less time procreating, you would have even more time to brew! :lol:
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Ok Dan, I sampled mine last night and it's not something I would want to enter, so please send yours in.

Brad, brewing is great fun, but I wouldn't rate it over sex. Do you blame him?
spkrtoy

Post by spkrtoy »

Have you seen Robert? Poor Cherise :wink: :wink:
Cheers,
Lyn