New Guy's Fermenting Question

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

Mike

New Guy's Fermenting Question

Post by Mike »

Hi, new guy here with a question on fermenting. I acquired one of those Plastic (Mini-Brew) conical
fermenters and that's what started my interest in Home Beer brewing. I've done alot of research and
read the "book", (Palmers) and believe I have EVERYTHING I need to start doing this. Problem is, I don't
quite know what to do with the conical fermenter. Everything I read says the conical is easier because
you don't have to rack to a secondary fermenter. O.K., I understand the "primary" fermention process
but what do I do when the "primary" fermention in complete? Do I just dump the trub out the bottom thru the ball valve and leave the rest in the conical for further conditioning? If so....How much longer do I leave it in there for secondary/conditioning ?? I am also going straight to Kegs so no priming or bottles.
Thank you for your help......I'm going to start my "First" batch this monday !!

Mike.
jward

Re: New Guy's Fermenting Question

Post by jward »

Welcome to Brewcommune.

You will probably get different answers to this question. Every now and again we rehash the pros and cons of these processes. Let me say what you should do depends on different things. I use a conical and you can make great ale by doing nothing (as far as dumping, primary vs secondary). Temp control, pitching rates, etc are still important. So you can pitch, let all fermentation finish, and then keg your tasty brew. Of course with a conical you have other easy options. One suggested practice especially for making light lagers is to let all of the trub settle out, dump, then pitch yeast. In an ordinary ale you don't need to do that. If you plan to harvest yeast you might dump the trub to keep the harvested yeast clean. Also, if you plan to harvest yeast and you let it set for the whole fermentation the yeast can get rather thick. You can get stuck trying to dump yeast the consistency of peanut butter. To get around that you can dump the yeast earlier. I use a lot of US05 and don't bother harvesting. I read stuff that says you cannot secondary if you remove the beer from the yeast yet the common practice it to rack the beer to a new carboy. I'm sure you'll get other comments.
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Hey Mike, welcome to the board and the OC+ brew community!

:cheers:
Jon Image
jward

Post by jward »

+1 to sanitation and what Robert said.

The terms primary fermentation and secondary fermentation are used to describe both yeast phases and brewer processes. This can confuse the issue or make it more difficult to talk about. Palmer seems to be addressing some of this:
The attenuative phase was often called primary fermentation and the conditioning phase often called secondary fermentation.

As brewer processes, primary fermentation was initial fermentation and you did a secondary fermentation if you racked the beer off to a second fermentation vessel. Since one can achieve all of the benefits of racking within a conical the terms can get more confusing.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Thanks to all who responded !!! Looks like the consensus is to "keep it simple", so I will !!
When the fermention appears done and my gravity readings remain stable for 3 days....
I'll rack directly to the Keg.
I just finished installing the digital temp controller to my converted freezer and set it to
65 degrees. If it holds, I'll start my first brew (a Newcastle clone) this monday!
Damn, I feel like a kid....this is exciting!

Thanks again, I'm sure I'll be asking MANY MORE questions soon,

Mike
oc eric

Post by oc eric »

So how did it turn out Mike?

It's been 20 days so you shoudl be done fermenting and force carbing. How is your first beer?
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway