Who's brewing this weekend??

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

backyard brewer

Who's brewing this weekend??

Post by backyard brewer »

I was going to try and brew Saturday, but alas, the shipment I'm waiting on won't be here until Tuesday so I don't have what I need to connect everything <sigh>

Anyone else brewing?
brahn
Site Admin

Re: Who's brewing this weekend??

Post by brahn »

My fermenter is already full from last weekend, so no brewing for me this weekend.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

No brewing for me until early August ...

Dan
oc eric

Post by oc eric »

I did my first batch at the shop on Wednesday. Total chaos. Had to run off to Costco for some lighters and scrubbies. Didn't get mashed in until 12:30pm. Then I forgot to put the carboys in the temp controlled fridge. Came in the next day to 78 degrees temps! :shock: I am glad I like fruity flavored beer! Just checked my babies and the airlock had popped off on one that had blown Krausen into the airlock :evil:

It was 10 gallons of Southern English Brown Ale. I forgot to make a starter, so I pitched Safale -04. 04 seems to make GOOD british beers for me.

Watch, it will be the best beer I ever made!!! :cheers:
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

I need to brew, but I'm in Vegas. I don't want 100+ degree wort, so I think it'll have to wait.

In two weeks, I'll either be brewing the club barleywine, or something else that turns around quickly to make sure my kegerator is full while the barleywine ferments.
Brad
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I was going to brew on Monday, but I have a project due for work on Tuesday that I need to work on. I may end up brewing during the week sometime (either Tuesday night or Thursday). I am brewing a Summer Pale Ale (1.044, 36 IBU) to grow up some yeast for the club Barleywine. I just kegged a Vienna, I have a Wit in the primary and 5 gallons of IPA left, so I'm in no real hurry to brew. I just need to grow that yeast for the Barleywine. The starter of WLP001 is on the stirplate and I have the WLP830 I harvested from the Vienna also. Maybe I will do two batches on Thursday - the Pale Ale and a lager. It all depends on work and whether the Wit is finished by then since I need the space in the fermenter.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
Haemon

Post by Haemon »

so I opened up my fermentation chamber to pull out that Dunkelweisse (time to keg) and the whole inside is moderately coated in a splotchy black mold.

It's on the fermenters too-- the Dunkel and the Christmas Ale I've been aging. I cleaned both of them as best as I could, cleaned out the fermenter, and kegged the Dunkel. On sampling the Dunkel I had the distinct impression that it was off but I've been wrong before.

This is some sort of sign, right? Is there no end to these weird problems I'm having? Is God telling me I shouldn't be brewing!?
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Haemon wrote:Is God telling me I shouldn't be brewing!?
Perish the thought! He just wants to help you become the best brewer that you can be! A little challenge here and there builds character. 8)

Are we talking hairy patches of mold, like on moldy bread? Or just the wacky krausen ring dregs that look god-awefull?

Let us know how it turns out in a few weeks.. It may be just fine...

Hoping for the best...!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

It sounds like it's just inside your "fridge" which shouldn't be a problem if everything is properly air-locked.
backyard brewer

maltbarley wrote:It sounds like it's just inside your "fridge" which shouldn't be a problem if everything is properly air-locked.
+1 It's very hard to keep mold out of the inside of a kegerator, chest freezer run at fridge temps or a ferm chamber. Wipe the inside down with a bleach solution.
Haemon

Post by Haemon »

backyard brewer wrote:
maltbarley wrote:It sounds like it's just inside your "fridge" which shouldn't be a problem if everything is properly air-locked.
+1 It's very hard to keep mold out of the inside of a kegerator, chest freezer run at fridge temps or a ferm chamber. Wipe the inside down with a bleach solution.
I was reluctant to use bleach anywhere near my beer but since you mentioned it, I think I'll give that a shot. Thanks!
jward

Post by jward »

Haemon wrote:
backyard brewer wrote:
I was reluctant to use bleach anywhere near my beer but since you mentioned it, I think I'll give that a shot. Thanks!
You can wipe the fridge with a mix of 1-2 tablespoons of baking soda and hot water. That will help retard mold growth.
Haemon

Post by Haemon »

Mold hasn't returned yet but I'll keep my fingers crossed!

I brewed a Sierra Nevada Pale clone yesterday with some help from my friends. Good times!

We had cooled down the wort post-flameout to 100F, and I poured it into the fermenter, then grabbed the other 2.5 gallon container of water to cold break it. It was one of those pull-tap kinds, so I stab the top to vent, cut the limiter tab and pull the tap on it. After about six seconds, without warning, the tap comes straight off of the container and shoots directly into the fermenter! I haven't laughed that hard in awhile.

Anyway, I tapped the Dunkelweisen last night too. The smell is fine, and the color is good, and I finally (FINALLY) got the carbonation right, probably thanks to the fridge. The taste is far off target. I can't describe the flavor but I think I may have left it on the lees too long... back to the drawing board, and here's to hoping that the SNPA clone will turn out better!
backyard brewer

Haemon wrote:We had cooled down the wort post-flameout to 100F, and I poured it into the fermenter, then grabbed the other 2.5 gallon container of water to cold break it. It was one of those pull-tap kinds, so I stab the top to vent, cut the limiter tab and pull the tap on it. After about six seconds, without warning, the tap comes straight off of the container and shoots directly into the fermenter! I haven't laughed that hard in awhile.
I used to use those all the time. The secret is to stand it on end and yank the tap clean out of the jug. Then as you start pouring it and is starts glugging, stab it with the knife and vent it. Dumps all 2.5G in about a minute.
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Haemon wrote:Anyway, I tapped the Dunkelweisen last night too. The smell is fine, and the color is good, and I finally (FINALLY) got the carbonation right, probably thanks to the fridge. The taste is far off target. I can't describe the flavor but I think I may have left it on the lees too long... back to the drawing board, and here's to hoping that the SNPA clone will turn out better!
I don't know which yeast you used, but my Dunkel Weizenbock used WLP320 (american hefeweizen), and the flavor was funky at first. I think it was just very yeasty. After 4 weeks in the kegerator, it is now pouring perfectly and tastes like I expected. Cold age it a while ... hope it mellows out like mine did!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields