Wife is going to Philly in 2 weeks - beer run!

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

Rezzin

Wife is going to Philly in 2 weeks - beer run!

Post by Rezzin »

My wife is attending a wedding in Philadelphia, PA in 2 weeks and offered to go on a beer scavenger hunt for me. What beers should I have her bring back that we can't find here? Someone on another board recommended this placeas they allow you to mix and match 6 packs.
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Wow! I wish there was a store like that around here...they have a crazy selection.

If you are taking orders, I'll take two of the Sprecher Bourbon Barrel Scotch Ale...to go...with a straw.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

If I were you, I'd try for one of each from Bell's and Founders. Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide, and I've heard good things about Mad Elf from Troegs. I hope she's got a big suitcase! :)
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

Wow, I would go totally crazy in that store. I don't know what else is in the area, but I am not sure you need anything else. Send her with a shopping list, and a huge suitcase.
Kevin
Stark

Re: Wife is going to Philly in 2 weeks - beer run!

Post by Stark »

Rezzin wrote:My wife is attending a wedding in Philadelphia, PA in 2 weeks and offered to go on a beer scavenger hunt for me. What beers should I have her bring back that we can't find here? Someone on another board recommended this placeas they allow you to mix and match 6 packs.
See if she can get you some Yuengling! Have her get a couple of cases. And I will make you a deal, if you do not like them, I will buy the remainder off of you. Although, I've made this same deal in the past and still have yet to buy anyone's cases off of them. =/
PMR
Pro Brewer

Post by PMR »

Just an FYI, there are laws in PA where you have to buy beer by the case in many liquor stores. From the reviews on BeerAdvocate, it looks like that's not the case at The Foodery.

Weyerbacher is a good brewery in that area. They make a lot of different and special beers. Bell's beers are available there, and are always good. Two Hearted Ale is great, as is HopSlam. SlyFox is another local brewery that I've heard good things about.

EDIT: Looking at what The Foodery has, I'd also recommend Double White from Southampton, Bell's Third Coast Old Ale, Brooklyn Local 1, Brooklyner-Schneider Hopfen-Weisse, and Founder's Breakfast Stout.
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

PMR wrote:Just an FYI, there are laws in PA where you have to buy beer by the case in many liquor stores.
I found this out the hard way once on a business trip to Erie. I went into a liquor store and asked where the 6-packs were. I got the response, "you're not from around here, are you?" I ended up having to buy singles from the bar at Applebees to take back to my room.

I'm guessing that store has a bar and a license to sell singles.
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

Thanks guys. I'm going to have my wife call ahead to see if this place is within striking distance of where she's staying. Hopefully it is. I might gave to bug my sister in law to bring a few back too :)
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
spkrtoy

Post by spkrtoy »

I thought I saw the Sprecher at Hi Times Tim, you might go to www.hitimes.net or give them a call about it.
Cheers,
Lyn
Everybody has the right to be stupid. Some people abuse the privilege.

I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it.
What I don't Know Far out weighs what I do.