Just Joined

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

robert_heat

Just Joined

Post by robert_heat »

Hello everyone!

So I just found this site today while I was googling for home brewing supplies in Orange County. I just brewed my first batch and haven't seen fermentation yet and against all advice I want a wine thief to take a hydro reading if it is not bubbling away when I get home from work tonight.

At any rate, I live in south county, and picked up a "kit" from O'Shea's this past weekend. Monday I brewed my first batch with only minor problems unless of course I killed my yeast. OH and you know that whole initial reading part? Yeah I just threw the hydrometer in the beer and then wondered how I was supposed to read it when there was such a thick layer of foam from aerating :x

Now that I have a better understanding for the process I am all ready to blow our life savings on stainless steel equipment and temperature controllers, but I am going to hold off on that for a while so I don't end up single....

So for now, plastic buckets and dirty oven tops.

At any rate, glad I found this site and will be checking back often. I would like to get to some of the events soon.

If anyone knows a good homebrewing shop other than O'shea's let me know. I work in the Irvine/Newport beach area and would love a more convenient shop.
lars

Re: Just Joined

Post by lars »

Hi Robert, welcome. Unfortunately, OC is a bit of a wasteland for brewshops. Lets see, there is O'Shea's and... O'shea's. One of our members had a shop in Garden Grove but recently closed it. Hopefully he will be able to reopen once the economy gets a bit better. So for brewshops many of us use Morebeer. They have one of the best online shops (free shipping on orders over $50) and also have a retail location in Riverside. A bit of a drive, but worth it. Also, if you join the club you get a 10% discount in store. A bit further north, there is Stein Fillers in Long Beach. Another good shop, just a bit more $$ than Morebeer. We're supposed to recive a club discount at Steinfillers too.

Cheers,

Lars.
Shut up and brew
robert_heat

Post by robert_heat »

Rough....well O'shea's it is. If we only have one shop at least it is a good one. The guys were pretty nice there and seemed pretty knowledgeable.

I did buy my recipe kit there too and was wondering what my final hydrometer reading should be around so maybe they would know. It was their Anchor Steam knockoff. I figured I would start with a beer I like and go from there.

Anyway, on to check out some of the other forums and look for advice on equipment etc.

Thanks for the tip on morebeer.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Welcome Robert!

Keep us posted on your progress.

Dan
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

Good to have another brewer in town!! Sounds like you are off to a good start!

Welcome!!
robert_heat

Post by robert_heat »

Thanks for the warm welcome :happybeer:

I had a quick question about the actual club. I am not sure whether it will really determine whether I would join or not (as I probably will regardless), but I was wondering how the business is handled within the group. Is it kind of everyone just tosses down $20 and we trust someone to use it for events or is there some sort of formal accounting and funding process?
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Welcome to the obsession Robert.

The club has an elected treasurer who keeps us honest, er at least keeps track of the money. :)
robert_heat

Post by robert_heat »

Cool....well you got my $20 as soon as I get a minute to deal with paypal here. Looking forward to my first meeting/event.
Marotte Brewery

Post by Marotte Brewery »

Welcome Robert!
robert_heat

Post by robert_heat »

Thanks!

Alright, money sent. Where's my free Stainless Steel Conical fermenter?
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Welcome! Where in south county are you? I'm in Laguna Niguel myself -- although unfortunately I have to drive up to Yorba Linda to brew :cry:

As far as homebrew shops go, I recommend buying from morebeer.com and having them ship it. They ship orders free if it's over $59, which will typically be the case if you're buying 2 batches of ingredients or 1 batch plus some equipment. Ordering on Monday will usually get you your stuff delivered by Friday.

I live 5 min from O'Shea, and never shop there. Luckily my brother-in-law who I brew with is in Riverside often and can stop at MoreBeer -- otherwise I'd probably go to Steinfillers for many purchases as they have decent prices and a good selection... That is, unless I could spend more than $59 in case I'd just order it online.
Brad
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Welcome aboard Robert.

I have never shopped at O'Shea's, but I have been there to drop off beers for competition. Do yourself a favor and make a trip to Riverside one of these days. Morebeer blows O'Shea's away with selection and pricing. If it works out, either Lars or myself could meet you there to help you in your shopping needs (Lars works in Riverside and I live in Corona). The guys that work there are really helpful too, espcecially Rob (he's the manager).

I look forward to meeting you in person. We are having a club brew day on Feb. 21 and we will have a club meeting in March (probably the 17th) at a yet to be determined location.

Brad
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
robert_heat

Post by robert_heat »

Now why would a brew club meet on Marh 17th.....hmmmmm....

At any rate I actually live in Mission V up by the lake. So I am not too far from O'Sheas either. To be honest it was kind of a fluke thing. We had to go down to San Juan and I knew O'Sheas was on the way. Their prices weren't too terrible compared to what I had seen online, so I went ahead and picked up a kit.

I use to live up in Orange and we went to TBC (Tustin Brewco) all the time. Nice little place.

I have a vegas trip coming up in March, so I will probably stop at the morebeer place on the way out. Maybe I will blow some of my gambling money instead of losing it on the tables. That would be the last Wednesday in March so maybe we can work out meeting up.

Club brew day, would this be up in YL? Should I pick up some mats for brewing? Or what exactly does a club brew day entail?

If you guys brew it I will be more than happy to drink it...
lars

Post by lars »

The Club Brewday on 2/21 is going to be at my place in Fullerton. Check the club only forums for more info.
Shut up and brew
robert_heat

Post by robert_heat »

Nice, I used to live up there too. I went to CSUF.