Another new guy

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

MacBruver

Another new guy

Post by MacBruver »

Hey guys! I ran into Tim at The Bruery last weekend, and he told me about the brew day coming up this sunday. I put in my deposit, and I will be there with a bucket! I can't wait. A bit about me:

I just got started with brewing, and my first batch (extract) has been in bottles a week. It's a java stout, and has been pretty tasty throughout the process. I can't wait to drink the final result. I've spent about the past two months absorbing as much good information as I can find... I think I've read through How To Brew about three times now.

I bought another extract kit for my next batch, but I'm gonna ditch most of the extract and go partial mash for it. I'm brewing in my kitchen in an apartment, so I'm somewhat limited on full boils etc... but I can get 4 gallons to boil pretty well, so I figure I can do around 8lbs of grain without too much trouble.

At any rate, I look forward to meeting you guys this sunday. It's going to be a good time!

-John
carbon

Re: Another new guy

Post by carbon »

Welcome! I love the screen name. See you at the Bruery.
-------
rich
MacBruver

Post by MacBruver »

Thanks! One question that I didn't get a chance to ask tim- what sort of yeast are people going to be using? I'm thinking either WLP550 or WLP570, depending on what I'll be able to find at Stein Fillers...
lars

Post by lars »

Welcome Mac. It should be a great time on Sunday!
Shut up and brew
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Welcome Mac ... have a great time at The Bruery on Sunday. See you here on the board.

Dan
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Welcome to the board Mac. I think 550 or 570 would be both be good choices.

Brent
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

Welcome John.

I agree, both should be fine choices. If I'm not mistaken the 550 will produce a spicier, more phenolic finished product. Someone with more experience with Belgian beers may have better advice.
Kevin
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Hey John,
Glad to see that you joined the board. I expect Sunday to be good times and I think you'll enjoy it and learn a lot. There are some very experienced homebrewers signed up so get a big a list of Q's together...or just post them here.

Tim
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Hey John, welcome. Looking forward to meeting you on Sunday.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Welcome to the commune!
Jon Image
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

Welcome!
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

maltbarley wrote:Hey John,
Glad to see that you joined the board. I expect Sunday to be good times and I think you'll enjoy it and learn a lot. There are some very experienced homebrewers signed up so get a big a list of Q's together...or just post them here.

Tim
Yep... You're sure to get at least 5 right and 3 wrong answers to each question :lol:

Welcome!
Brad
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

bwarbiany wrote:
maltbarley wrote:Hey John,

Tim
Yep... You're sure to get at least 5 right and 3 wrong answers to each question :lol:

Welcome!
lol!
Jon Image
MacBruver

Post by MacBruver »

Thanks guys! I'll definitely have some good questions lined up. I just cracked open a bottle of my java stout after only a week in bottles, and it's already carbing nicely. Good hiss upon taking off the cap, and a nice, two finger, rocky, lacy head in the glass. There was only a touch of carbonation in the beer itself after that, but it's only been a week. Oh, and the beer was tasty too! K:-) It's not perfect, but I'm not expecting it to be. It's a good start though.