Chugger Pumps

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

brahn
Site Admin

Chugger Pumps

Post by brahn »

In case anyone else has been waiting, chugger pumps are back in stock. I ordered mine today.

http://www.chuggerpumps.com/
yl_ryan

Re: Chugger Pumps

Post by yl_ryan »

How do these compare to the March pumps, other than the stainless?
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

I'd like to know too. I'm getting ready to buy 2 pumps. I had heard that the chuggers had some issues, so I wonder if this 'new design' addressed them..?
-_LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

Watch the short video clip on their site. It would seem that they've fixed the original issues with better porting, a larger impeller and a larger motor. The price has increased some, closing the gap between them and March.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I was writing a response when backyard brewer's showed up, so I'll just say "what he said".

I figure it's still a little cheaper than the polysufone march pumps and it's stainless.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

backyard brewer wrote: The price has increased some, closing the gap between them and March.
Not exactly. The $149 March pump does not have a SS head. I find these pumps very intriguing and will be very interested in Brent's experiences with them.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

I have 3 of the Chugger SS heads (1st gen) on my system. The pumps are all March though. I've had zero problems with them. I did replace the impeller on the head on my BK to use the March 815 model just because it provides a better overall output since on the BK you can sometimes end up sucking air during a vigorous boil.

This week I just installed 3 of the new gen Chugger pumps w/ SS heads on a stand we're building for member OCLUKE. The quality of the pump motors feels to be on par to the March ones. We're hopefully only a week or so away from doing a test run on this rig.

I didn't take one of the new heads apart to look at the insides, but I'll see if I can get around to that. I'm interested myself to see if the used a larger diameter impeller.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

JonW wrote:I did replace the impeller on the head on my BK to use the March 815 model just because it provides a better overall output since on the BK you can sometimes end up sucking air during a vigorous boil.
I've sometimes noticed a problem with the pump [March 809] on the boil kettle cavitating and losing prime while I'm trying to recirculate the boiling wort through the CFC during the last 10 minutes of the boil. Are you saying that switching to the 815 impeller completely fixes this problem? I'd been investigating that switch anyway, but this would be the prompt to make it a reality.
Brad
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

BrewMasterBrad wrote:
backyard brewer wrote: The price has increased some, closing the gap between them and March.
Not exactly. The $149 March pump does not have a SS head. I find these pumps very intriguing and will be very interested in Brent's experiences with them.
I meant just from a price standpoint. They were originally like $109 or close to that.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

bwarbiany wrote:
JonW wrote:I did replace the impeller on the head on my BK to use the March 815 model just because it provides a better overall output since on the BK you can sometimes end up sucking air during a vigorous boil.
I've sometimes noticed a problem with the pump [March 809] on the boil kettle cavitating and losing prime while I'm trying to recirculate the boiling wort through the CFC during the last 10 minutes of the boil. Are you saying that switching to the 815 impeller completely fixes this problem? I'd been investigating that switch anyway, but this would be the prompt to make it a reality.
Prior to switching, I had a few brews where doing my recirc took a bit to get it going. Not always, but I had a few issues, so that is what prompted me to do the 815 impeller.

I've only brewed with it once since switching (well, really twice I guess if you count Tim's batch) and had no issues at all with the priming and recirc. So far I'm happy with it.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

OK, attached are a couple of pics of the new Chuggers. Yes, the impeller is the larger one like the 815 models.
Chugger_V2_Impeller.jpg
Chugger_V2_Impeller.jpg (54.39 KiB) Viewed 2986 times
Chugger_V2_Body.jpg
Chugger_V2_Body.jpg (52.88 KiB) Viewed 2986 times
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Did you get a chance to try them out on a brewday yet? Inquiring minds want to know!
:happybeer:
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Not yet, hopefully soon.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

We did a water test Sunday and a bit more last night. They seem to be working fine and had absolutely no priming issues. One of them did have an issue when first tested as it wouldn't spin. Turned out that the mounting flexed the housing just enough to stop the motor. After loosening the mounting it was fine. I think the mounting bracket is not mounted straight on the motor.
lars

Post by lars »

I bought two also. Hoping to brew more this year. Only two batches last year... two kids and a new job have taken up the majority of my free time. If I get the time, I'll be brewing this weekend!
Shut up and brew