Johnson controls external theromstat

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

supplyndmnd

Johnson controls external theromstat

Post by supplyndmnd »

I bought one of these the other day on Northern Brewer and wanted to know if anyone knows how to install this in a vissani #mckc490s (I know POS kegerator, but I just want to use it for fermenting ales and it was on clearance at Home Depot for <$200) where would I insert the temperature probe into the fridge? Should I drill a hole in the side? The C02 hole in the back seems too large and would let lots of cold air out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I have a German Alt I want to brew, but I'm too lazy to brew with a cold water bath =)

Here is the link to the temp controller:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/j ... ostat.html

Thanks,

Ray
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin
backyard brewer

Re: Johnson controls external theromstat

Post by backyard brewer »

First off be very careful with that cap tube. If you kink that line going to the bulb, the controller is toast.

Typically people run the cap tube right over the door frame and let the door gasket seal against it. That's usually good enough. However, if you can get the bulb through an existing hole I'd go for it. It sounds like you have to remove a grommet or something since you're worried about the hole ending up too large. You can use plummers putty to seal the hole after you pass the bulb through.
supplyndmnd

Post by supplyndmnd »

Thanks for the advice, I'll give the plumbers putty a try
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin
oc eric

Post by oc eric »

backyard brewer wrote:Typically people run the cap tube right over the door frame and let the door gasket seal against it.
Anyone want to share a picture of how their thermostat is rigged? I just bought one for my frig and don't want to break it. Thx.
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway