Igloo Cooler Fermentor Box

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

JonGoku

Igloo Cooler Fermentor Box

Post by JonGoku »

I modified my "fermentor box" for this last batch of Scotch Ale and thought I would post some pictures. Ideally I'd like a deeper igloo cooler, but for the moment I'm stuck with what I already had.

Original Setup
Original Setup
Original Setup
Fermentation Setup.jpg (148.79 KiB) Viewed 1400 times
New Styrofoam top
New Top
New Top
Fermentor Box 1 copy.jpg (201.7 KiB) Viewed 1400 times
Top Part Assembles for Better Insulation
Fermentor Box 2 copy.jpg
Fermentor Box 2 copy.jpg (216.51 KiB) Viewed 1399 times
Last edited by JonGoku on Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Image
JonGoku

Re: Igloo Cooler Fermentor Box

Post by JonGoku »

Fermentor Box 3 copy.jpg
Fermentor Box 3 copy.jpg (217.5 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
Fermentor Box 4 copy.jpg
Fermentor Box 4 copy.jpg (208.44 KiB) Viewed 1397 times
Maintaining a fermentation liquid environment temp of around 66-67*F
Temp Reading copy.jpg
Temp Reading copy.jpg (210.69 KiB) Viewed 1397 times
Well it gets the job done a little better then my last setup and only cost me about $2.50 in styrofoam. Best of all I'm a lot less worried about extreme temperature swings in my garage.

I'd really like that 165quart Igloo I saw at costco today...
however at $79+tax costco price ($140-$190 elsewhere) I could probably manage a real lager fridge for around that :shock:

Cheers!
Last edited by JonGoku on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Image
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

Nice work. I used something like that for a while that Rezzin had built, worked good. Now I have a fermentation fridge outside for that.
Kevin
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I did something like that for a while, then I started using foil instead of an airlock and closing the lid of the cooler. I had some mildew problems with both methods and now I just don't use a lid at all. For me it doesn't seem to make much difference, but I haven't tried it during summer without a lid yet.
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

brahn wrote:I did something like that for a while, then I started using foil instead of an airlock and closing the lid of the cooler. I had some mildew problems with both methods and now I just don't use a lid at all. For me it doesn't seem to make much difference, but I haven't tried it during summer without a lid yet.
Well my main drawback with the current system is that my water level is only up to about half way on the fermentor so the effectiveness is not as good as it could be. I'd love to get more water mass to increase the stability. The 165 quart igloo would hold loads of water and would be ideal, however even if I did have the large igloo I think I would still make a false top just so I could keep the airlocks outside of the setup.
Jon Image
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Ooohhhh....

That 165 qt cooler would make a heck of a mash tun... I could mash some BIG beers in that sucker!
Brad
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

bwarbiany wrote:Ooohhhh....

That 165 qt cooler would make a heck of a mash tun... I could mash some BIG beers in that sucker!
I was looking at the one sitting in my back yard a while back and thinking the same thing.