5gal Paint Strainer vs B3 Large grain bag

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

JonGoku

5gal Paint Strainer vs B3 Large grain bag

Post by JonGoku »

I'm planning ahead and considering doing a BIAB (Brew In A Bag) AG attempt. Before I get railed for the concept, please note that I'm trying to save on the equipment and equipment space allotted me by SWMBO and not trying to skimp/short cut the tried and true AG method. I like my toys just as much as the next fellow, and if I didn't have a budget and space issues to contend with I'd already have a sculpture built or in the works by now.

That said, I'm curious if anyone has any knowledge or experience using one or both of these large net bags. The one from Lowes is 70% cheaper and maybe larger.

B3 Grain Bag - 24'' x 24'' Medium 1pc (I didn't see a large) = $4.99

Lowes 5-Gallon Strainers 2pc = $2.98

Edit: Actually theres a number of sizes at Lowes... maybe a smaller one is better?
:happybeer:
Jon Image
brahn
Site Admin

Re: 5gal Paint Strainer vs B3 Large grain bag

Post by brahn »

I think either one would probably be fine.

I thought the crock pot mash from those youtube videos was an interesting idea too.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

What's the material of the B3 bag? If it's the standard pliable muslin that I always used to use for grain bags, I worry that it will allow too much husk/grain matter to get through during your sparge. If that's the case, I'd aim more for an actual strainer bag with a fine mesh than muslin...
Brad
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

I used to use white nylons for hop/grain bags when i extract brewed.