Blow off construction

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Marotte Brewery

Blow off construction

Post by Marotte Brewery »

So, I have been using a simple bubbler since I started brewing (and yes I have had beer on my ceiling). After today, I think I need to switch to a blow off..
Messy....
Messy....
P1010363.JPG (23.63 KiB) Viewed 1097 times
What is the easiest way to construct a blow off? Mainly, I was hoping for some recommendations on tubing size and how to connect it to the top of the carboy. From older posts I have read, I assume that a glass jar full of sanitizer makes a great end point, but I'm not sure how to connect the tubing to the top of the carboy...

The details are these:

Extract Brew, Two 4 lb cans of Alexanders (60% Wheat, 40% Malt), boiled in 6.25 gallons, 0.5 oz Cascade hops for 60 min, 0.25 oz lemon zest for 1 min. First time using Wyeast 3068 (used to use White Labs, until Kevin told me that this one was better). Bath temp is currently around 68, but can get into the low to mid 70's when I am unavailable (read: at work) to keep ice bottles in the bath..

I left the bubbler off for a few hours tonight to clean it. I hope to have less foam later, so I can put it back for the night, and tomorrow I will be making a trip to Provisions to get something to prevent this in the future. I know that by the time I return tomorrow with the right equipment, it won't be needed anymore, but if I don't buy it now and have it on reserve, I will most likely forget the next time.

Thanks!
Jeremy

Sorry for the long post. Short version: What do I need to get tomorrow to build a blow off?
Rezzin

Re: Blow off construction

Post by Rezzin »

I like to do this:

I don't recall the size of tubing but I'm sure if you stop by the Bruery Provisions, they'll steer you in the right direction. Don't forget to cut out the little X on the bottom of the bubbler - if you don't, hop matter easily gets stuck there and you can have an explosion.

Or you could do this too:

Again, sorry - I don't remember the size of the tubing but you just stick it in the top of the carboy and it's a perfect fit. I'm pretty sure this is a 6g carboy.

Hopefully someone else can chime in with better details than me.
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

I was in a similiar straight last week! I'd only used 3-piece bubblers before and it clogged on day 2 of my Old Ale. I ended up grabbing a spare 2.5 feet of 1/2" tubing from my gear, and slipping the end onto the inner stem of the bubbler.
improv_blowoff.jpg
improv_blowoff.jpg (18.37 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
While mabye not a proper wide neck blow-off tube, it did work like a charm... allowing foam & particles to rise up and out.. down into my sanitizer bucket.

Even tho' this worked well, I think I'll probably craft a more sturdy wide-stem version to go right into the hole on the fermenter lid.... Hope that is helpfull..
--LexusChris
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

A 1" tube should fit the carboy neck. A 3/8" should fit over the bubbler stem, but Chris says 1/2".

Tubing is cheap. I recommend having several feet of a few different sizes around just in case you need it.
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

backyard brewer wrote:Tubing is cheap. I recommend having several feet of a few different sizes around just in case you need it.
+1

:)
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields