Kegerator / Chopping up cornies...

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

dhempy

Re: Kegerator / Chopping up cornies...

Post by dhempy »

Chris:

I'm not sure it'll make too much difference on the when for mounting the forward seal faucets ... the shanks should be mounted to the tower such that you can simply take the faucets off with the faucet wrench and screw the forward seals on. You shouldn't have to change the tubing as it is typically mounted to the back of the shank. Now I don't have a tower so I'm basing my answer on how my kegerator is set up. But I doubt it'll be significantly different. So if it were me, I would mount them last after the tower is in place. That'll make the tower lighter for handling during the mount process and protect your faucets in the event you drop anything. Plus, when you clean the faucets you'll take them off the tower to soak in solution so you should be able to mount them on the tower when it is in place.

Dan
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Thanks for the info on the faucets!

I am nearly done, and have hit a small snag. As I was feeding the tubing down the tower hole and placing the tower for mounting .. I got a sinking feeling in my stomach... my bolt holes are a little bit off. Dang!

I measured everything twice, I know I did ... and then I realized ... I measured the holes off the ruber gasket's holes, and not the tower itself! (Actually, I'm surprised I did not make more rookie mistakes like this)

So, 3 of my drill holes are off by about a half width (i.e. 1/8")... so I can't just drill new holes. I got to widen 3 holes a half-width in a certain direction. Any recommendations? :idea: :?

Should I try to fill the holes with something? Will a wide sloppy hole make the tower very shakey?

My only other thought is to buy a new wood square insert for under the plastic counter, and let those holes be perfect & tight, and the slopyy fridge top won't make too much difference for the bolts. There would some stabilty from the 1/2" plywood insert...

Taking a breather from this project until I figure a good plan of attack. Besides, got a brewday to plan this weekend! :happybeer:

==LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

lexuschris wrote:...So, 3 of my drill holes are off by about a half width (i.e. 1/8")... so I can't just drill new holes. I got to widen 3 holes a half-width in a certain direction. Any recommendations? :idea: :? ...
Use a stepbit or Unibit to increase the hole size in the sheet metal. Having holes too large won't affect anything; it's the clamping force that holds the tower in place anyway. Use a small amount of plumber's putty around each hole and they'll get filled in so spilled beer doesn't make it down in the kegerator.

Backing the screws with fender washers is a good idea too. I have a large aluminum plate inside mine.

I have about a life-time supply of plumber's putty and a step-bit you can borrow.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Can you post a pic?

How many holes total?

And what thickness is the fridge top?

Some immediate thoughts are:

1) Try to ream the holes with your drill into place ... 1/8" isn't too much to go. Use the same size drill bit, and push it in the direction you need to go.
2) Test mount the tower to be sure everything is the way you want it.
3) Remove the tower
4) Take your bolt, coat it lightly with some Vaseline, (note if you're really anal, wrap one layer of wax paper over the Vaseline), put it in place, and then fill the remainder with JB-Weld. You'll probably have to put a piece of tape on the underside to help retain the glue. The Vaseline (and wax paper) will help release the bolt once the glue has dried.
5) See if you can get some fender washers (these are washers that have a big diameter with a small hole .. I'm guessing that your drill holes are 1/4" based on your comments ... so you'd be looking for a 1" or larger diameter washer with a 1/4" hole). If the washers are to be inside your kegerator, look for stainless .. it'll be worth the extra buck or two).

EDIT: I see Derrin and I are on the same posting schedule again ... K:-) Basically the same procedure / result.

Also remember to seal up any internal seams in the fridge with clear silicone as a preventive measure.

Dan
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Finally finished the kegerator this week! Yeah!! :cheers:
Twin Tap Tower on Sanyo 4910M
Twin Tap Tower on Sanyo 4910M
kegerator01.jpg (25.69 KiB) Viewed 915 times
Sorry for the lousy pic quality on the first pic...
Here is one showing the white-board on the inner door...
kegerator02.jpg
kegerator02.jpg (47.48 KiB) Viewed 915 times
After looking at step-bits at the hardware store, I decided to try just using the original drill bit and push the 1/8" laterally to route out the extra space. The thickness and multiple materials of the top (metal, wood, foam, plastic) pushed me in that direction anyways..

That was slow going, so I pulled out the new Dremel tool kit I bought for this project, and used the saw bit. Like a knife through butter. I routed out the remaining four holes in about 10 minutes. :)

I picked up some of those fender washers, and put a ring of silicon sealer atop them and slid the nut under them. I think that pretty much seals up the holes from the inside. Clamping force seems good, and tower is very firm.

BTW... $50 on the Dremel tool kit at Lowes was the best investment I made for this project!!!! :happybeer:

The Dremel saw bit was instrumental in cutting out the door insert with all the cup holders and moulded shelving. It left just a frame with all the original screw holes, and a slightly recessed square area at the edge. I cut the white-board material (hard to describe and locate to the folks at Home Depot, but I found it... $4 for an 8' x 4' sheet) to match the inset. A little filing to fit it perfectly, and I just laid it under the frame as I screwed it back into place.

So, now I'm ready to load up my 1st keg with a batch of Old Ale. Do I need to run sanitizer through the system first? I would gather that is a good idea. Just mix my SaniClean with water, put in the keg, pressurize and poor until dry?

==LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

lexuschris wrote:So, now I'm ready to load up my 1st keg with a batch of Old Ale. Do I need to run sanitizer through the system first? I would gather that is a good idea. Just mix my SaniClean with water, put in the keg, pressurize and poor until dry?

==LexusChris
Yep. Get some BLC as well and run it through after each keg. It'll keep the funk out of the beer lines.