Custom Labels

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

JonGoku

Re: Custom Labels

Post by JonGoku »

Marotte Brewery wrote:I've made a few labels for special occasion brews. I used some Waterproof labels that could be printed from a laser printer. You can find them here: http://www.onlinelabels.com/ol500.htm
Has anyone used regular labels that were not "weatherproof"? Did they hold up ok, or were they noticeably peeling and falling off etc? At $60+ for 100 sheets, I might go for the paper bag/crayon, or masking tape/sharpie approach.

Maybe getting some clear spray paint sealer and dusting the "regular" label might be just as effective and a lot more cost efficient. (Could spray before peeling and sticking or something).
Jon Image
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

JonGoku wrote: At $60+ for 100 sheets, I might go for the paper bag/crayon, or masking tape/sharpie approach.
I knew you'd come around, Jon. :lol:

Seriously though, I think the idea of coating paper labels is a good one. Anything too permanent and you'll end up spending too much time cleaning.
Marotte Brewery

Post by Marotte Brewery »

Yeah, the removal of the labels isn't so easy. I put labels on beers that I was giving away as favors for a wedding, so I didn't get most of them back. I did have some extras that I labeled, and I had to soak them in hot water just to get the main part of the label off. I ended up putting different labels on them, just to cover up the adhesive that was left over.

When I do bottle (rare these days - I have a corny keg now), I just leave the old labels on.
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Marotte Brewery wrote:Yeah, the removal of the labels isn't so easy. I put labels on beers that I was giving away as favors for a wedding, so I didn't get most of them back. I did have some extras that I labeled, and I had to soak them in hot water just to get the main part of the label off. I ended up putting different labels on them, just to cover up the adhesive that was left over.

When I do bottle (rare these days - I have a corny keg now), I just leave the old labels on.
So what your saying is making (or partaking) of beer makes one lazy. Image I better not let the wife know this.
Jon Image
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

JonGoku wrote:
Marotte Brewery wrote:Yeah, the removal of the labels isn't so easy. I put labels on beers that I was giving away as favors for a wedding, so I didn't get most of them back. I did have some extras that I labeled, and I had to soak them in hot water just to get the main part of the label off. I ended up putting different labels on them, just to cover up the adhesive that was left over.

So what your saying is making (or partaking) of beer makes one lazy. Image I better not let the wife know this.
Well.... It depends.......

I think brewers despise tedious shit, but big projects are no problem.... Let's face it, it's a hell of a lot less work to go to the store and buy a suitcase of beer than make it.

Anyway. I had good luck with plain old Avery labels and spraying them with clear acrylic, but these were give-aways and I had no intention of removing them.
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Backyard Brewer wrote:I had good luck with plain old Avery labels and spraying them with clear acrylic, but these were give-aways and I had no intention of removing them.
Oh cool. I will try this first I guess, and if soaking them in oxyclean doesn't clean them off, I'll try something different next round.

Getting new bottles isn't that hard if you know anyone who works at a restaurant or bar.
Jon Image
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

You know, if your custom labels don't come off easily, getting more bottles can be fun. Just make sure you buy them full and the labels are easy to remove. :)
Soaking them in PBW (I'm not sure about OxyClean) makes the labels just fall of of most commercial beers.